Feeling Nostalgic-Left BA 20 years ago this week!

With all due respect, my initial post was not about people losing their life savings but rather was intended to be (and quite frankly I thought I had conveyed) my reminiscing of what a wonderful time we had. While I of course feel sorry for those less fortunate who saw their life savings vanish--I find it a little curious to bring that into my post when again mine was simply intended to be a happy memory of a special time for me--hence I posted it. Thanks for bringing me back down - truly will never understand some people's perspective and the need to interject a tangential topic at best.
I understood that. I was commenting on the fact that there was another reality for most people.

One man tells a love story and the other counters: many were not in love that spring.

Everything @sergio writes in his initial post may be true but it is not everything. It's a bit like the enigma of trying to describe the death, damage, destruction and devastation of the London blitz during the Second World War without mentioning that many people who survived - perhaps most people - look back on it as the happiest time of their lives.

There are at least six beginnings to the story of my relationship with Argentina and I tell it differently every time. Today's version begins in England, in early 2002, with a woman in Argentina screaming at me that I just don't understand: that I couldn't understand unless I saw what was really happening there for myself.

A few weeks later, Easter 2002, I got off the plane right in the middle of all that turmoil. The man who you may all remember from the rolling TV news as the peacemaker, calming down the flag-burning protesters in the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel is still a dear friend of mine. The bishop I cooked dinner for that weekend has since retired. The people I met in the subsequent weeks, the ones feeding the newly homeless from their own kitchens; the medics helping the sick and injured with ever scarcer resources; the young family with a new-born living in a tin hut on a muddy, waterlogged track at the edge of town, what all of them - all of them - had in common was the bitter disappointment in the succession of governments which had failed them so miserably and a determination to pick themselves up and do a better job themselves.

I've loved Argentina ever since.

shelbytruck. i am here now. the hood is really good. some blight. normal. restaurants are open and full and serving alot better quality. not many closed spaces. 3 16 oz quilmes and one of the best hamburger i have ever tasted at fabios at for 17.00. moved down the street ugarteche to cervino and had a great club sandwich and 3 beers for 12.00. its as i remembered. i love this place. those prices are for 2 of us. come back soon

Back