‘Best cities for expats’

chris

Registered

BA isn't on that list at all
From a pure selfish standpoint: good!
I love this city and I would like to live there in the near future, so I don't want to see it become yet another Dumaguete or Cuenca.

Stockholm and Sydney are some of the most expensive cities in the world, better be rich if you're moving there.

As for Argentina, I still can't picture a place with a better QOL/COL ratio (in dollars) in the world. You may be able to rent a place for
$50/month in Cambodia or The Gambia, but you're basically living in a different world, completely separated from locals. This isn't to
say that there aren't 2 Argentinas (one for the locally rich and expats/immigrants from developed countries and one for Argentines) but
rather that the gap between someone who makes say even 30K USD/year in BsAs vs the same in Phnom Penh is like comparing 30K
vs 1 million in the US, where in Argentina it still makes you rich, but you're able to buy an entire supermarket's stock on a whim.

Everyone has an opinion about the "best" cities, including the author of the article.

I live well in BA on very little. The free concert schedule can't be beat in any city. The organic food is plentiful. The green spaces are great for getting close to nature. The people are warm and friendly. And there is no better place to be if you love tango! I will never go back to where I came from. It's just too good here.

What made me choose Taipei over BA in 1996 when I reconnoitred both was that you could make a decent living in Taipei. Taipei is also very safe. Its banking system works well and its government is pro-business so it's easy to make and save money. Now that its days are numbered though and I'm economically independent Latin America is back in the running.

Last edited:
What made me choose Taipei over BA in 1996 when I reconnoitred both was that you could make a decent living in Taipei. Taipei is also very safe. Its banking system works well and its government is pro-business so it's easy to make and save money. Now that its days are numbered though and I'm economically independent Latin America is back in the running.

Taipei/Taiwan more broadly is not somewhere I'd want to find myself today, December 8th in 2049; a day after the 100th anniversary of the end of the Chinese Civil War, because a lot of people smarter than I are betting One China will literally mean One China by then, no more "Chinese Taipei"/ROC sometime between 2027 and 2049.

As for the list from CNBC, again, it's incredible to me that cost of living is a metric for these surveys, and they still include countries with high costs of living/countries where people state they are very unhappy with the COL:

Article title: The top 10 countries where expats are happiest with work, life and cost of living

3 of 10 of these countries:

New Zealand: 29% are happy with the cost of living
Australia: 42% are happy with the cost of living
Canada: 42% are happy with the cost of living

I'd love to know how this magazine defines "expat". I still find the concept baffling.

Everyone has an opinion about the "best" cities, including the author of the article.

I live well in BA on very little. The free concert schedule can't be beat in any city. The organic food is plentiful. The green spaces are great for getting close to nature. The people are warm and friendly. And there is no better place to be if you love tango! I will never go back to where I came from. It's just too good here.
The cost of living is incredible if you are spending blue dollars. At the official rates, not so much. For any of the older expats here, what was it like under Macri? Was the cost of living still a bargain like it is now?

Back