1-Day Overstay

TruchoTango

Registered
When I bought my flight, I entered "90 days" in the search engine. For whatever reason, when my flight departs, I will have spent 91 days in Argentina.

When you overstay the 90-day visa, even by a day, does your name go on a "list of usual suspects" or are there any other potential future negative consequences?

And yes, I have searched older posts and found nothing conclusive.

When you overstay the 90-day visa, even by one day, it will be recorded under your name in the system as one overstay.

It is impossible to know about potential future negative consequences as the policies of migraciones can change at any time

PS: The next time you enter Argentina I'm sure the immigration official will be able to see your previous overstay, but I also assume the official will be able to see the previous dates of your arrival and departure and realize that you only overstayed by one day.

I can't imagine that would be a problem...unless you are "abusing the I-94" in some other way (like making repeated visa runs) and/or you happen to encounter an official who has an axe to grind.

If you want to keep your record clean and not have to worry about it, you could take a day trip to Colonia, or go to immigration and apply for a 90 day extension.

If you want to keep your record clean and not have to worry about it, you could take a day trip to Colonia, or go to immigration and apply for a 90 day extension.

According to Dr. Rubilar, going to Colonia afer overstaying the 90 day visa is just as illegal as overstaying in the first place. The record is no longer clean.

Going to migraciones to get a belated 90 day extension may not be as good idea as it seems,

It depends on how soon TruchoTngo wants to return to Argentina and if what markovince was recently told by an immigration official at the office of migraciones is accurate:

...the lady there said that if you leave Argentina and come back during your first 3 months that that is fine (absolutely no problem) and you can stay a further 3 months. After these 6 months you have to do a visa extension which would allow you to stay for a further 3 months, giving you a maximum total of 9 months (the now costs 2500 pesos).

If you stay for 3 months and then renew your visa for a further 3 months that's your other option which would give you a maximum of 6 months. If you've already paid for your visa extension you cannot leave the country and come back to get a further 3 months..

Last edited:
PS to my previous post: I believe Dr. Rubilar has said that it is actually "illegal" to go to Uruguay to get a new 90 day visa even if your 90 day tourist visa has not yet expired.

That appears to contradict what marcovince was told by the lady at migraciones, but Rubilar has also said (several times) that there are no rules...

...and it's all up to the immigration official at the time of entry...and it's quite possible the official at the border never heard of such a "policy" let alone agree with it.

Back