$11,000 For A Built-In Closet. I'll Do It Myself.

allcraz

Registered
Ok, so after getting several quotes for a 2,00 x 2,50 x 60 built-in closet and said quotes averaging out at 11,000 pesos, my husband has decided he's going to build it himself. Other than Easy, does anyone have any experience buying precut melamina boards or the like? I can find lots of places googling but always prefer to go with recommendations if anyone has any - especially in or near Capital. Thanks!

There's a big place on Juan B. Justo, near the corner of Honduras that cuts wood to measurement. Not that cheap, but a lot cheaper than paying $11k. I was planning on building a crib for my daughter and had costed everything out, but eventually went with a supplier I found on mercadolibre. I'd recommend having a dig about on mercadolibre to see if you can find anyone offering sensible prices.

La Viruta (http://www.laviruta.com/)
We went down there (Av. Juan B Justo branch) with the plans already drawn, having figured out the pieces, etc. They have a cool software that translates that into the board reducing waste and bearing in mind the grain direction, etc. They cut the board for us and helped us out with accessories, tape, screws, etc.

Awesome guys, thank you. Very helpful. I am a fan of MercadoLibre myself, but these quotes actually came from MercadoLibre! Just got another one: $12,500.

Allcraz - not surprising! I paid in total about 12K for a bar to be built/finished. Outrageous.

Easy is easy but and the place on Juan B Justo is decent. Do you have access to a car? If so, there are prob cheaper options outside of Cap Fed.

Ok, so after getting several quotes for a 2,00 x 2,50 x 60 built-in closet and said quotes averaging out at 11,000 pesos, my husband has decided he's going to build it himself. Other than Easy, does anyone have any experience buying precut melamina boards or the like? I can find lots of places googling but always prefer to go with recommendations if anyone has any - especially in or near Capital. Thanks!

You should go to "La Viruta" (the place on Juan B Justo Avenue), they have better prices, quality and works better than easy. They have website.
Regards

Hi citygirl, yes we have a car and I was just given the same advice at lunch: even cheaper options outside Capital. We'll look around. Thanks!

WOW! It never ceases to surprise me how gullable expats are!!!!!!!! 11.000 pesos. is it gold lined? If your husband is handy (and I mean handy) he can do it himself . 2x250x60???? what is the 60? That is a pretty small closet. You have many options.1) shop around Rivadavia and Medrano Sobre Medrano, Especially Annas and Espanola and pick up an antique placard, sand it and paint it, or 2) buy the materials from a wood supplier on Sarsfield 1100 or so, ask for Pablo. If you prefer to do the project out of dulock( drywall) with a wooden swing door go to SecoMondo.... If you want drawers included there is a place on Belgrano and Pasco? that can make drawers of pine for you or Entre Rios and Chile that has cabinets and drawers of all dimensions for very good prices( laminated) WHAT SUCKERS!!!!! Sorry, but I have no info on vendors in Palermo...If i were not suffering from artheritis i would offer to help with the work for free. If you need any advice contact [email protected] If you are serious I will pull up invoices with addresses,addresses,and contacts. regards James

Umm.. insulting much?
1) You'll notice that the OP opted not to do it based on the quotes received.
2) Do you have any idea how expensive things are in general? Guess what, outrageous prices aren't an expat thing.

Citygirl, don't worry. These types of posts don't warrant much response. James must not understand the meaning of gullible, didn't read before responding, or perhaps I put that I thought it was an excellent price and the workers are in there applying the gold lining as I type! Oh, no. Didn't put that. I also didn't ask for vendors in Palermo. Still, I appreciate the information that he provided thinking it might be helpful.

Back