14 Food Reasons Argentines Are Better At Life

Did you write this article? Or do you know the author?

I find it strange that someone with no posts here would post such a steaming pile of caca without any additional commentary unless he or she had some relation to the author.

No, actually, I did not write it and was slightly amazed myself by the content which is why I posted it, for comments.

I don't find it strange that you are being curt, though. I've seen that here before. I guess I don't meet your standard for quantity of posts.

Jose, these aren't friendly skies. Sure some people will agree with you but you'll always get someone who will give you a hard time one way or another. I've noticed that some people hate the food here because there's a lack of ethnic varieties. I don't eat an ounce of spice so this was never an issue for me. I remember that last year when I arrived I was walking on sunshine. The beef, the empanadas, the dulce the leche. I couldn't understand how people could complain about food (other than the ethnic food example). I year into my Argie adventure I can tell you that even the best beef, empanadas, and pastries do get old. Some people will criticize the pizza. It's not NY style pizza and the lack of toppings is frustrating. There are always options.

There was a point in which I was quite tired of brown food and jamon y queso. I've found a balance by now. There are great pizzerias if I don't feel like having the Argentine style pizza. I know that I have to be emphatic when I order pasta. I want it al dente please. There's a learning curve and if you're willing to accept the differences and embrace what you can and cannot get it will be OK. For a while I struggled with the lack of decent breakfast, I found places that serve great breakfast. I missed American style food, after being frustrated with some of TGI Friday's shortcomings I recently (accidentally) found a great place that serves a little bit of everything and has amazing menu items that remind me of home. You'll run into some bitterness regarding this topic because some people can't find that balance. I have amazing recommendations for many different food types if you ever crave anything in particular.

Another gringo who spent 5 minutes here and was fed far too much cow shit with their chinchulínes - at least Matias enjoyed it.

Highlights:
Breakfast is served with a side of awesome, also known as medialunes.
...makes it sound like you're going to get something else.
The pasta tastes like it was made by an Italian grandmother.
yes, a senile Italian grandmother prone to wandering off for days while the pasta is on the boil.
Dulce. De. Leche.
Sick. Of. It.

Almost all of the remaining points are related in some way to asado - the list has as much imagination as an Argentine menu.

I agree with the statement about milanesa but I think my point has been made.

Edit: I also had great expectations about pasta but it is true that only some places make decent pasta and it's heavily Argentinized which doesn't seem to be a good thing. Overcooked pasta is quite awful and the lack of decent lasagna and assortment of noodle types makes it quite dull sometimes.

@Internationalguy: could you name the breakfast places/ US food place you are mentioning in your post?

Frankly, while I enjoy eating out here, I find dining in BA more interesting than remarkable, although I have found a few places I'd call outstanding for one reason or another.

The important thing to remember with any dining experience is to be in the moment where you are, not where you've been or where you hope to be.

Not to brag, but if I want a truly outstanding meal, I have the luxury of staying home and letting my 'media naranja' wow me.

Sure.

There's a great place for Breakfast in Palermo. It's French but if you want decent breakfast (eggs (scrambled and benedict), waffles, bagels, etc.) you should give it a try, On weekends they serve "brunch" which is not the kind of brunch I'm used to but it gives you expanded options. They also have killer lemonade. Oui Oui is the name, it's on Nicaragua (corner of Arevalo, Dorrego, I guess).

The place that serves American style food (they also serve other things like tapas and pasta for some reason) is a place in Puerto Madero called Unico. It's quite unique, the mix is quite something (the name is quite appropriate). It feels a little like TGI Friday's, it's open late and it's also a bar. Their portions are huge and the service is great.

I could recommend other things but off the top of my head those two deserve a special mention.

Back