15 Reason Why I Like Ba Living ...

D.B. Cooper

Registered
1. Great wines at bargain basement prices.
2. All the kissing you can handle. (I know it's superficial but still fun.)
3. More flea markets than you can shake a stick at.
4. Cobble stone streets.
5. Used books stores everywhere, BA is for book lovers.
6. Free tango lessons.
7. More green space Per Cap than most major cosmopolitan cities.
8. You get more bang for your buck than in the US.
9. All the sidewalk cafes & restaurants.
10. Flower stands that are open 24 hrs.
11. Beautiful & free Botanical Gardens with friendly kitties to play with .
12. Sensuous, & friendly women.
13. Never have to worry about shoveling snow.
14. Fresh produce & green markets on Saturday though out the city. I use the one in San Telmo.
15. Alcohol drinking in public is perfectly legal & normal. (Try that in NYC !!! )

1. Great wines at bargain basement prices.
Only Argentine wine, you want variety, prepare to sell a kidney. Plus all that bargain basement malbec is cheaper in the states.

4. Cobble stone streets.
I agree, pretty; I'm just glad I'm not a woman.

5. Used books stores everywhere, BA is for book lovers.
Thats only because there are no lending libraries and new books cost so much that only the rich can buy them.

Only if you live in a nice part of town and or have a car. Lots of green space for Palermo Chico, not so much for Boedo
9. All the sidewalk cafes & restaurants.
How can you have a 15 page menu without one good plate?
11. Beautiful & free Botanical Gardens with friendly kitties to play with .
Again, nice to be rich.
Friendly? <_<
13. Never have to worry about shoveling snow.
Just Dengue and heat stroke.
14. Fresh produce & green markets on Saturday though out the city. I use the one in San Telmo.
Too bad the produce rarely compares to the delicious variety available in the first world.
15. Alcohol drinking in public is perfectly legal & normal. (Try that in NYC !!! )
Just not at concerts or sporting events.
Quien ingresa o consume bebidas alcohólicas en un espectáculo masivo, de carácter artístico o deportivo, es sancionado/a con uno (1) a cinco (5) días de trabajo de utilidad pública o multa de doscientos ($ 200) a un mil ($ 1.000) pesos.

Remember, every sliver lining comes with its own nasty storm cloud.

Number 11 is definitely on my list since I miss my cat so much. I can spend hours at the Jardin Botanico reading a book and hanging out with the kitties. Los gatos en Argentina son muy amables. :)

Seems you just arrived,

some things that may change over time:

7b. Dogs leaving their remains in every possible place, no green space is safe for recreation.

12b. There are friendly women, but do not generalise. Enough of them think they are too special to be friendly. If you visit Montevideo, or any other city in South America for that matter, you will find that on average, women are ways more friendly than in BA.

I have to correct PhilipDT .

THERE ARE 30 FREE PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN THE CITY.

http://www.buenosair...bibliotecas.php

Speaking of FREE. What does personal wealth have to do with FREE Botanical Gardens.

Maybe you just got up on the wrong side of the bed today...
You gotta start seeing the glass as Half Full a little more...

These are just my personal favorites reasons. It's not a question of being wright or wrong.
(Except the one about no libraries)

I have to correct PhilipDT .

THERE ARE 30 FREE PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN THE CITY.
I noticed Philip used the term lending in his comment about libraries.

Do public libraries in BA actually allow people to take books out of the library? :huh:

Speaking of FREE. What does personal wealth have to do with FREE Botanical Gardens.

It all about the location. Check out the price of real estate around the botanical gardens...or for many blocks inland. Those living close enough to enjoy the gardens on a regular basis would undoubtedly be considered rich by those living far enough from them to have to take the bus to get there. :(

Maybe you just got up on the wrong side of the bed today...
You gotta start seeing the glass as Half Full a little more...

An interesting comment from someone who goes by the name johnniewalker...always thinking about how much is left in the glass? ;)

These are just my personal favorites reasons. It's not a question of being wright or wrong.
(Except the one about no libraries)

Given Philip's inclusion of the word lending, he might be "wright" about that one. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the OP does travel. If so, he could know better.
Have to laugh very, very, very hard about

I've to meet the first sensuous and friendly woman here. They're rude, hysterical, dependent, uninteresting, everything but sensual here. Go to Colombia, Brasil, Venezuela anywhere in Latin America and you'll find sensual, friendly, beautiful and amazing women.

I noticed Philip used the term lending in his comment about libraries.

Do public libraries in BA actually allow people to take books out of the library? :huh:

I looked on the page, it looks like they do actually lend books -- however what made me laugh is that it looks like to become a member, although it's free, you need a Guarantor!!!

1. Se debe completar el formulario de asociación y completarlo con los datos propios y los de un garante. El garante debe ser mayor de 21 años y residir en Capital Federal, en un domicilio diferente al del solicitante.

La Red de Bibliotecas Públicas ofrece los siguientes servicios:
  • Asociación en red, asociándose a una biblioteca de la red se pueden retirar libros de cualquier otra biblioteca pública de la Ciudad.
  • Préstamo de libros para lectura en sala.
  • Préstamo de libros a domicilio para asociados.
  • Lectura en sala de los principales diarios y revistas.
  • Uso de la Sala para estudio y lectura de material propio.
  • Asesoramiento acerca de libros y materiales disponibles en la Red de Bibliotecas de la Ciudad a través de consultas en línea y en forma telefónica al 0800-999-2516 (de 10 a 17hs.).
  • Servicio de acceso gratuito a Internet libre.

Seems you just arrived,

some things that may change over time:

7b. Dogs leaving their remains in every possible place, no green space is safe for recreation.

12b. There are friendly women, but do not generalise. Enough of them think they are too special to be friendly. If you visit Montevideo, or any other city in South America for that matter, you will find that on average, women are ways more friendly than in BA.

Have to disagree with 7b. It is the owners or dog walkers fault for leaving the dogs "remains" everywhere. The dogs don't know any better.

The only thing I think I could add to this list is the pizza but honestly, thats about it. I am counting the days to go back to the states....

Would add the following:

The multiCultural and Night Life of Bs. As.

If money is no OBJECT I would certainly choose to live in Bs.As. instead of Montevideo, Asuncion, La Paz,, Quito, Lima, Caracas, and Santiago, Rio would be an option.

Back