2 Dead in Another Building Collapse in Palermo

LAtoBA

Registered
Was anyone up last night around four in the Palermo area close to Scalibrini? For some strange reason I was and after hearing ambulance sirens for 20 mins straight I knew something was wrong.

Anyway, there was another building collapse at a local boliche, Beara, which sits on Scalibrini Ortiz 1600. I'm not sure what scares me more--the fact that I was at this boliche about two months ago or that deadly building collapses seem to be a common theme in Buenos Aires.

Two young girls, 20 and 21 were killed last night when the VIP section collapsed. The place wasn't even filled to capacity.

I lived in the Dominican Republic for about a year, a country that is considerably poorer than Argentina, and I can't ever recall the number of building collapses that I have heard about here in Buenos Aires in the few months I've been here. What the hell is going on?

It's not the city that's unsafe, it's the damn buildings.

http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/Derrumbe-boliche-Palermo-muertos_0_332966901.html

It was not the building that collapsed this time, but instead the "entrepiso" - a lofted level of the building set aside as the VIP area.

I have serious questions how this construction was approved, since it seems from what I have read it was made out of durlock, not the best construction method for this type of structure in my mind. I suppose I will ask my girlfriends father - an architect here, what his opinion is eventually.

I have done much construction...and to my knowledge..Durlock is only used in non-structural walls. So if the lofts were made of this product... it would be reasonable to assume it would collapse.

Those were my thoughts as well. Reading a little bit further, the loft area (this is how I will translate entrepiso from now on) was made out of durlock and aluminum with some wood support. In my mind horrible construction, and it blows my mind that according to the GCBA the "entrepiso" figured in the building schematics on file, and was allowed.

GuilleGee said:
It was not the building that collapsed this time, but instead the "entrepiso" - a lofted level of the building set aside as the VIP area.

I have serious questions how this construction was approved, since it seems from what I have read it was made out of durlock, not the best construction method for this type of structure in my mind. I suppose I will ask my girlfriends father - an architect here, what his opinion is eventually.

Durlock? Isn't that basically just plaster board?

GuilleGee said:

The point is more people are dead. This is getting ridiculous. Is there no type of inspection process here??

The area that collapsed is like a mezzanine section for VIP folks. They're essentially able to look down on the other party goers.

LAtoBA said:
The point is more people are dead. This is getting ridiculous. Is there no type of inspection process here??

LAtoBA, I wasn't excusing anyone from responsibility or saying it was any less worse because it was just the mezzanine level. I was adding to your post so that as many facts as possible were available.

And yes, Durlock is basically plaster board. That is why it is ridiculous that the GCBA could know about the mezzanine level and have proof of it on file, have inspected the club 9 times in the past year and not have done anything. It will be interesting to see what the investigation uncovers as the cause of the collapse, other than shoddy construction methods and materials.

I walked past there yesterday afternoon. The door was open, which is usually isn't, so I looked in. Seemed like they were in the process of building something.

And when I passed the police station today, just a flew blocks down the street, there were lots of news people there. So I figured they already have the guy responsible locked up.

LAtoBA said:
It's not the city that's unsafe, it's the damn buildings.

sorry for the derail, but the massive unsafety isn't in Capital, it's in the provincia.

evan said:
sorry for the derail, but the massive unsafety isn't in Capital, it's in the provincia.

And this probably have nothing to do with the actual structure of the building. Seems more like it's a floor built by them:

Según informó el comisario inspector Carlos Alvarez, de la Superintendencia Federal de Bomberos, el entrepiso que se derrumbó era de "aluminio y durloc, con partes de madera"; tenía una superficie "de unos diez metros de ancho por siete de largo y estaba ubicado a unos 10 metros de altura".

Which is actually kind of strange because from the outside it looks like the place only has one floor.

Back