2 Jobs, One Work Visa?

mimyr

Registered
I recently arrived to start working as an English teacher for an institute that's sponsoring me for getting a work visa/DNI. However, I recently interviewed for a tech firm that also wanted to hire me, but they can't hire me without having a DNI. They like me enough that they also want to sponsor me, though. My question is, if I get the work visa through ONE of these firms, will that apply for the other firm as well? And do I have to stay employed with the firm that was marked as the original employer on the visa paperwork?

We give out work visas, and if you stop working with us, we would revoke your visa. . . not sure how we would do that (never crossed that bridge), but trust me, we would be pissed off and do so. If you give a work visa you have to jump through a lot of hoops and are legally responsable for that person while in Argentina.

Also, the tech firm doesn´t make sense, if they will sponsor you then you would get a DNI from their work visa. And if you have a DNI, you don´t need to be sponsored.

(Please keep in mind I am not an immigration lawyer nor work in migraciones, you should consult a lawyer and migraciones for final advice).

You can't actually "revoke" the visa as far as I know. But when it came time for the renewal obviously your company wouldn't renew the work contract if someone had left and their temp DNI/work authorization would expire.

Montauk is correct though - the IT company sounds confused.

And yes, you need to be with the company in order to do a renewal of the visa each year.

Why does the IT company sound confused? Their HR sent me a list of required steps:

1) PASSPORT: This document must be in force and in good condition and submitted with a full set of copies including blank pages. Just to take into consideration: if the passport is not in international format you´ll have to translate it into spanish. To check if it´s in international format look at the page where is your personal information, if it has a number and you go to the last page of the passport and it has the translation into many languages (including spanish) it´s in international format. If not, you´ll have to translate it. If you are not sure about it, you can send me a scan or photo of the passport and I can check it.
2) CERTIFICATE OF LACK OF CRIMINAL RECORD issued by the competent authorities of the countries where you have resided for a period exceeding ONE (1) year, during the course of the last THREE (3) years. Remember that you have to legalize it with the Apostille. Remember to translate the criminal record with a certified translator into Spanish and legalize the translation. (this is done :))
3) ADDRESS CERTIFICATE: You must go with your passport to the police station, they will ask you where do you live (the hotel or home address), and what’s the purpose of the certificate which you must reply that is for immigrations (in Spanish: “migraciones”). It will cost you AR$15. During the following 24/48 hours the police will pass by your hotel, home and will verify with the Hotel receptionist or other person you live with that you are staying there. Please leave a copy of your passport with them.
4) CERTIFICATE OF ARGENTINE CRIMINAL RECORDS Issued by the National Registry of Reoffend at Tucuman 1353, downtown, will cost you AR$100 and you have to pick it up after 24 hours. You must take with you your passport and a photocopy of the main page (the one with your name, nationality, etc). Before going you must take an appointment through the website: http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/Turnos/. Remember when you take the appointment that in the part where it says "numero de documento" only put the number of the passport. If your passport number has letters don’t put them in there because it won´t let you take the appointment. Ex: Pass Number: EH1854E3 you have to put 18543
5) TWO 4X4 COLOR PHOTOS (It must be current, taken from the front, half bust, with the head completely uncovered, color, white even background, allowing appreciate faithfully and in all its fullness the holder's facial features when manage the procedure).
6) $600ARS for the VISA
7) $40ARS for the DNI

I need a work visa so I can get the DNI in the first place. If I don't have a DNI, they can't employ me.

The company is confused because if they want you to work for them they need to sponsor you. They are basically asking you to get it yourself, and there is no way migraciones will go and get you a DNI just because you ask, you need to give them a reason: job, that you have income in another country, parent of Argentine child, married to an Argentine, or studying. If they want to employ you, they need to sponsor you for a work visa, not get another company to sponsor you and then you quit working for them. The list they sent you is what you need once your REASON for getting a visa is approved.
The reason why they don´t want to sponsor you is because they don´t have all their taxes paid or something like that.
Maybe you cannot revoke a work visa but I would go and raise hell if I sponsored someone and then they went and worked somewhere else because you are violating my trust and I will be responsable for you. I would take legal action to show that you broke our contract because I don´t want to be responsable for someone who is not working for me.

The company is confused because if they want you to work for them they need to sponsor you. They are basically asking you to get it yourself, and there is no way migraciones will go and get you a DNI just because you ask, you need to give them a reason: job, that you have income in another country, parent of Argentine child, married to an Argentine, or studying. If they want to employ you, they need to sponsor you for a work visa, not get another company to sponsor you and then you quit working for them. The list they sent you is what you need once your REASON for getting a visa is approved.
The reason why they don´t want to sponsor you is because they don´t have all their taxes paid or something like that.
Maybe you cannot revoke a work visa but I would go and raise hell if I sponsored someone and then they went and worked somewhere else because you are violating my trust and I will be responsable for you. I would take legal action to show that you broke our contract because I don´t want to be responsable for someone who is not working for me.

Oh, the IT company isn't aware that I am even working for anyone else right now. As far as I can tell, they ARE going to sponsor me for a work visa, that's what that $600ARS is for (they are actually going to compensate me for this after 90 days). And I'd prefer not to quit at all with the teaching gig, but the academic year will eventually end, and I have no idea what will happen to my employment status with them during summer.

What I'm unclear on is the relationship between the work visa and a DNI. As soon as I have a work visa, it seems like I can apply and receive a DNI; is this true? And then, as you pointed out earlier, I no longer need to worry about work visas, right?

Oh, the IT company isn't aware that I am even working for anyone else right now. As far as I can tell, they ARE going to sponsor me for a work visa, that's what that $600ARS is for (they are actually going to compensate me for this after 90 days). And I'd prefer not to quit at all with the teaching gig, but the academic year will eventually end, and I have no idea what will happen to my employment status with them during summer.

What I'm unclear on is the relationship between the work visa and a DNI. As soon as I have a work visa, it seems like I can apply and receive a DNI; is this true? And then, as you pointed out earlier, I no longer need to worry about work visas, right?

The DNI will be issued automatically when the work visa is granted. You will not have to apply for it separately.

You will have to "worry" about work visas in the future due to the fact that your work visa will only confer temporary residency. Your DNI will expire after (one?) year and must be renewed at migraciones where you will have to present proof of continuing employment with the company that sponsored you in the first place or another company that is willing to sponsor you.

I imagine that you could try to get employment with another company that is not registered with migaciones before your DNI expires, but if they know the consequences of having a foreign employee with an expired DNI and they are not registered with migraciones to employ you, they would be unwise to employ you. I can't imagine them not checking to see when you DNI expires.

Ok. So basically, I should apply for separate work visas for each company to cover my bases.

You don't "apply" for a work visa. The company needs to have permission to employee extrajeros first. Then they issue you a pre-contract. Typically they will go with you but if not, you need to take that offer letter along with all the other paperwork to migraciones. Once Migraciones confirm the company is registered and approved to employee foreigners (and they will make visits to the company to confirm no one is working illegally, etc) they will issue you the paperwork for the work visa/DNI. You can't legally work until that process is complete (which can take a while).

Again, YOU can't do anything without either of those companies issuing you the pre-contract. And you need to ask them/make sure that they are registered and have the ability to employ extrajeros. They need to do the initial steps, not you.

The work contract/temporary residency is valid for 1 year. At the end of that year, you will need to return to migraciones and show proof of continued employment with the company. The company will also have to have an up to date registry and permission to employ extrajeros.

There is an inordinate amount of waffle spouted by some prospective employers. You need to manage them a bit, more so the tech company as that sounds like something worth getting involved in if that's where you will continue your career.

The requirements are in English and Spanish on the government migrations website which you do need to read and familiarise yourself with. I would assume an IT company is approved to high foreigners, but you should absolutely check. I imagine a language inst. should be approved on the basis of needing native speakers

Back