20% Fee Charged At Airport?

dietzele

Registered
So I realized that my last trip back to the US was in December and I returned to Argentina in January.. Since then the 20% charge was added to international flights. Now that I am moving back permanently to the US I purchased my ticket on a US credit card. I was not charged the 20% and I just want to make sure I wont get any surprises in November. Has anyone recently traveled in or out of Argentina on a flight paid with a US or intenational CC? Were you asked about the 20% at the airport? Im not a resident of Argentina, so I would assume that they would just treat me like a tourist and not charge me. However, I wanted to check with you all first. Thanks!

Should have paid for it in pesos even with the 20% and saved yourself some $$.

math 101

So I realized that my last trip back to the US was in December and I returned to Argentina in January.. Since then the 20% charge was added to international flights. Now that I am moving back permanently to the US I purchased my ticket on a US credit card. I was not charged the 20% and I just want to make sure I wont get any surprises in November. Has anyone recently traveled in or out of Argentina on a flight paid with a US or intenational CC? Were you asked about the 20% at the airport? Im not a resident of Argentina, so I would assume that they would just treat me like a tourist and not charge me. However, I wanted to check with you all first. Thanks!

I traveled the last week of Dec 2012 (the 20% tax was already in effect at that time) to NY on an AA e-ticket issued using a US cc. No questions/problems at EZE. A friend traveled in June of this year to NY on an AA ticket, issued at their Santa Fe ticket counter, using a US cc. Also no questions/problems at EZE. We are both residents of Argentina. I feel pretty sure you won't be bothered about this when you check in at EZE.

Forgot to mention that the 20% tax was not collected on our tickets!

I haven't heard of this charge. Can anyone explain?

Edit: Never mind. I see there is a giant thread on the topic.

http://baexpats.org/topic/25414-20-surcharge-for-travel/

Thankfully Afip's reach doesn't extend into foreign bank accounts or credit cards.

I think the extra charge of 20% is only an issue if you use an Argentine credit card. And to have an Argie credit card you usually need to be a resident with DNI.
If you pay on a foreign credit card it won't be tagged on later. No worries! The "add on later" happens to folks using Argie cards abroad to make purchases.
There is a surcharge on travel purchases but I think it is now built in so whatever price you are quoted already includes it (in the fine print)

Thank you! The flight was cheap... $800...and I had a feeling they wouldn´t be able to do anything since its a foreign credit card ...but it´s always better to check then get a nasty surprise on my way home! Thanks!

I think it depends from where you buy the ticket. For example if you get it through the us site you might not be charged. For example when I flew to the states I had to pay the extra 20% for the charge of bringing a pet on the spot and I was paying with my us cc and I was not an argentine resident.

Back