200 Years Celebration Ideas ?

diplomacy

Registered
Is anyone in tune with what is going on over the next few days to celebrate the country's 200 year birthday? I would like to take in some of the festivities and feel like I experienced something from this important event. But I feel a little out of the loop and thought you all might have some good insights.

Thanks.

Got a robo-call today from the city, inviting us to the grand re-opening of the Colon Theater this Monday July 24th at 19hrs. It said "come and see a light show like no other every seen in Argentina". Location: 9th of July and Viamonte. It seems interesting, so we're planning to go. :rolleyes:

2GuysInPM said:
Got a robo-call today from the city, inviting us to the grand re-opening of the Colon Theater this Monday July 24th at 19hrs. It said "come and see a light show like no other every seen in Argentina". Location: 9th of July and Viamonte. It seems interesting, so we're planning to go. :rolleyes:

I assume this will be with throngs of people? Sounds like fun tho.

They've had posters up for this for about a week down in the subte platforms. It should be ridiculously packed. I'm not completely sure whether people will be allowed to walk in, look around, and then walk out. The official reopening is the following night.

There are things scheduled for 9 de Julio all week. Yesterday there was a parade:

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/34238

I would also read this column on the Bicentenario festivities:

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/34229

And here is the Buenos Aires Herald's list of events:

From Friday to Tuesday. 9 de Julio Avenue (Corrientes to Belgrano). Free admission.

Music:

Sunday 5pm: Romantic music by José Luis Juri (piano), Igor Herzog (guitar) and soprano Gabriela Guzzo at Defensa 1600. 8pm: Tango and folk music. With: Soledad Pastorutti, Gustavo Santaolalla, Victor Heredia, Teresa Parodi, Liliana Herrero and Peteco Carabajal. There will be tango orchestras and dance shows.
Monday 4pm: Through big screens, Argentina-Canada soccer match is aired. Ciro Martínez (Los Piojos) will sing the National anthem. 6pm: Fito Páez. 8pm: show that pays tribute to local cinema. The National Symphonic Orchestra perform a repertoire made of soundtracks.
Tuesday 11am: National symphonic orchestra, directed by Pedro Ignacio Calderón, with the special participation of tenor Darío Volonté at Luján basilica. Repertoire of: Anton Bruckner, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Georg Friedrich Haendel, Hector Panizza. 6pm: Contemporary music by Leandro Wainrod at Museo Histórico Nacional (Defensa 1600). 8pm: Fito Páez closes the event. Over 200 stars will sing the hymn, including musicians, sports people and actors. Fireworks. 11.45pm: 24 a las 24. The national anthem by the band of Patricios Marine Corps at the Cabildo (Bolívar 65) in Plaza de Mayo.

Exhibitions:

— Renovated, the Cabildo museum (Bolívar 65) opens its gates on Sunday. New interactive technologies. 11.30am to 6pm.

— Huellas de la Revolución. Testimonios escritos de la Semana de Mayo de 1810. Documents about the May revolution. From Saturday. Wed to Sun 11am to 6pm. Museo Histórico Nacional (Defensa 1600).

— La patria dibujada, historietas del Bicentenario. Comics based on history by renowned local comic writers and cartoonists. Directed by: Juan Sasturain. Until May 30th. Tue to Fri 12pm to 8pm, Sat and Sun 10am to 8pm. Palais de Glace (Posadas 1725).

— Muchas voces, una historia. Argentina 1810-2010 and Mujeres. 1810-2010. Photographs about historical leaders and famous women of Argentine history. Until December 31st. Casa Nacional del Bicentenario (Riobamba 985).

— Bicentenario para los chicos. Guided visits for kids. Mon 24th and 25th. Casa Nacional del Bicentenario.

— Huellas de un siglo. Documentaries produced by state-run channel 7pm. Sats 8pm, Sun 7pm at Casa del bicentenario.

— Cartografías de una conquista. Old maps that show the evolution of the frontier. Biblioteca nacional (Agüero 2502).

— Bicentenario: Imágenes paralelas — Siglo XIX a 1940. Paintings and photographs by León Pallière, Prilidiano Pueyrredon, Alejandro Witcomb, Eduardo Sívori, Chute & Brooks, Juan Di Sandro, Alfredo Lazzari, Grete Stern, Libero Badii, among others. Curated by: Sara Facio. Until May 30th. Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (Av. del Libertador 1473).

— El periódico Martín Fierro en las artes y en las letras. Exhibition with works of Xul Solar, Emilio Pettoruti, Norah Borges, Horacio Butler, Héctor Basaldúa, Thibon de Libian, Paul Gauguin, Pablo Picasso, Carlo Carrá, Marie Laurencin, Pedro Figari and Julio Castellanos. Curated by: Sergio Baur. Until May 30th. Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes.

— Maquetas de Yrurtia. Sculptures. Museo Casa de Yrurtia (O’Higgins 2390).

— Punta a Punta, Argentina en el Bicentenario. 200 years of Argentine history. Documents, letters, photographs. By Felipe Pigna. Plaza Mitre (Santa María and Alem).

Talks and debates:

-Today 8pm: Palo Pandolfo. Rock, youth and the bicentennial. Cultural Padre Mugica (Av. Hipólito Irigoyen 7913, Lomas de Zamora). Lomas de Zamora.

-Wednesday 7.30pm: Osvaldo Bayer. Bicentennial. San Martin university auditorium (Ayacucho and Matheu).

-Sat 29th 7pm: Ariel Prat. The bicentennial’s murga. Tres de Febrero university (Caseros building, Valentín Gómez 4756).

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/34084

Get out there and enjoy it!

diplomacy said:
Is anyone in tune with what is going on over the next few days to celebrate the country's 200 year birthday? I would like to take in some of the festivities and feel like I experienced something from this important event. But I feel a little out of the loop and thought you all might have some good insights.

Thanks.
Mark - you want to hook up for the theatre opening thing on Monday?
It's not far from where I live!
Al

2GuysInPM said:

Just a gentle warning, take care out there, we will be there, but were warned, by a taxista, that thieves are making a killing out there, so watch your wallets and beware pickpockets. But enjoy.

odyssea said:
I assume this will be with throngs of people? Sounds like fun tho.

Tons of people will be there except Christina. She scathingly ditched an invitation from Macri and will not go. :D

Napoleon said:
They've had posters up for this for about a week down in the subte platforms. It should be ridiculously packed. I'm not completely sure whether people will be allowed to walk in, look around, and then walk out. The official reopening is the following night.

Yeah, it's an outside event at night with a stage and light show. I also doubt anyone will be let in the theather, except the organizers, the mayor and special guests. http://buenosaires.gov.ar/teatrocolon/

This should be tagged at the top until Tuesday night.

I'm just saying.

We went down to 9 de Julio on Sunday and I can only advise people who are going for the big celebration on Monday and the opening of the Colòn is to go early and bring an umbrella! We were driven away twice by downpours and then stranded for the night in a hostel because we couldnt get to Vicente Lopez in the north.

Everything is an adventure in Argentina!!!

Back