21% Vat On Hotels. How Does It Work?

BAPaul

Registered
Hi this is a question about the below that I have copied off a hotel website:

Please note the based on local tax laws, all Argentinian citizens and resident foreigners must pay an additional fee (VAT) of 21%. Only foreigners who pay with a foreign credit card, debit card or via bank transfer are exempt from this 21% additional fee (VAT) in accommodation and breakfast when presenting a foreign passport or a foreign ID along with a supporting document handed by the national migrations authority, if applicable.

I have not been to Argentina for a while so I am asking how does this now work? I have read in a few places that you are now refunded the 21%?

But I have always paid at the end of my stay in hotels there..and in pesos. So do they just not include it now? I guess they do not refund those who pay at the end of their stay...and only those who have paid it all outright beforehand?

Can anyone from another country who has been to a hotel recently, tell me how it now works please?

Try this link for info on refunds: http://baexpats.org/topic/22210-tax-free-refunds-at-eze-warning/

In Uruguay they see that you use a foreign card and you are charged the discounted amount at the hotel, there is nothing else to do. I would assume that in Argentina it works the same way.

Back