33,6% of Argentines live below the poverty line

Maybe in BA, but in the provinces, I would estimate that number to be higher. I am completely surrounded by it. But they do get by and they can be so friendly, sincere and loyal. Rather keep company with them than a loud mouth Yankee any day. I keep making more friends around here sometimes it stuns me how friendly they are. I have been remodeling with a few of them here and broke my watch the other day working with them. Just the pin in the band. One them takes off their watch offers it to me. I was not sure what to do really. I was just a cheap watch but I knew I could get it fixed. But I was thinking would it be an insult turning down the offer?

I am sure they have no idea how much money I make and I want it that way not only because of thieves. I want them to feel comfortable around me not like I am something more than them. My wife is constantly after me to wear better clothes etc. No this is not the place for that. When in Rome well you know.

The massive divide between wealthy and third world type conditions for many is an embarrassment to this country.

Off to a cracking start to the new year I see - putting Americans down as usual

Pensador: There is a simple solution to your dilemma: start sharing your wealth with your neighbors. That way you will not only be helping them but you'll reduce your superior economic status and be truly closer to your neighbors!

Last edited:
What they lack for in material is often more than made up for in kindness and generosity. There is nothing romantic about poverty, but the lack of resources sometimes has a way of creating larger social networks and codes that make life easier. I think this is what Pensador is alluding to. I have seen this on my travels in Argentina and have personally experienced a kind of generosity I've never seen in wealthier parts of the world where fear and isolation seem to be more prevalent.

Last edited:
Argentina peso lost 60% value in 2018, next to bitcoin(which I think it's a scam) which lost 80-90% in 2018. First there were talks of massive gains of bitcoin, then there were talks of chain-links and ICO, a huge scam was brewing in 2017, finally (virtual currency) burst in 2018. The 3rd currency which lost massive value is Turket lira, about 30%. However, Turkey lira devaluation is very different from that of Argentine peso, things in Turkey are 30% less now if you have dollars, unlike in Argentina, price just shot up in pesos. If you like to visit Turkey, staying at 5 stars hotel at price of Telos, this is the time. 2019 could be the year the global economy is transitioning to recession. Sorry for the bad news

Last edited:
Argentina peso lost 60% value in 2018, next to bitcoin(which I think it's a scam) which lost 80-90% in 2018. First there were talks of massive gains of bitcoin, then there were talks of chain-links and ICO, a huge scam was brewing in 2017, finally (virtual currency) burst in 2018. The 3rd currency which lost massive value is Turket lira, about 30%. However, Turkey lira devaluation is very different from that of Argentine peso, things in Turkey are 30% less now if you have dollars, unlike in Argentina, price just shot up in pesos. If you like to visit Turkey, staying at 5 stars hotel at price of Telos, this is the time. 2019 could be the year the global economy is transitioning to recession. Sorry for the bad news

Not quite that cheap. Just looked up Four Seasons. Cheaptest room 412 euros for early Feb. Hilton much less.

What they lack for in material is often more than made up for in kindness and generosity. There is nothing romantic about poverty, but the lack of resources sometimes has a way of creating larger social networks and codes that make life easier. I think this is what Pensador is alluding to. I have seen this on my travels in Argentina and have personally experienced a kind of generosity I've never seen in wealthier parts of the world where fear and isolation seem to be more prevalent.

Ditto! And yes. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Back