55% Inflation. New Era Of Honesty???

EricLovesBA

Registered
January Inflation announcement lets the cat out of the bag. Is the government turning over a new leaf?

In a story Feb. 13 about the Argentine government's report that consumer prices rose 3.7 percent in January, The Associated Press miscalculated the equivalent annual inflation rate as 44 percent. Annual inflation compounds monthly inflation, so if Argentine prices were to continue rising at this rate throughout 2014, the annual rate would be 55 percent.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11202080

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/87127cfe-94fd-11e3-a8ac-00144feab7de.html#axzz2tKSYFGlF

55% inflation? How did you came out with that number?

3,7% inflation during January was because of devaluation. Inflation this year will be between 30-35%

Stop posting misleading information.

Pathetic.

(1.037)[sup]12[/sup] = (almost) 1.55. Ergo, if the confirmed January rate stays the same, it will be 55% over 12 months.
No misleading info, just basic math, though nobody can predict the future, of course.. Where does the 30-35% come from?

(1.037)[sup]12[/sup] = (almost) 1.55. Ergo, if the confirmed January rate stays the same, it will be 55% over 12 months.
No misleading info, just basic math, though nobody can predict the future, of course.. Where does the 30-35% come from?
Not sure 3.7%/month is always true. But 55% can't hurt expat that much.

Miguel Bein, O J Ferreres, Aldo Ferrer, Lenicov. People who actually live and work in this country. Even the ex-director of INDEC, Bevacqua, said that their IPC is a bit lower.

Your source? Two foriegn newspapers quoting people that nobody knows.

I am sorry to disagree but I think I will bealive the economists that I mentioned above.

Cheers!

Anybody who lives in Argentina has to recognize that inflation is now over 50% a year.

A friend who owns a mini-market has said in January alone, prices for his products from wholesalers averaged a 40% increase.

Its really not that hard to get a rough sense of what the inflation is - just compare what that ''basket'' of groceries you bought 6 months ago or even last month is costing you today - I would say that 50% sounds about right to me - there isn't much we are not paying at least DOUBLE the price for now compared to say this time last year... Even cigarettes are up big time - my carton of dunhill reds now costs me 160 pesos and I *know* I remember paying less than 100 pesos for it last year...

Extrapolating from one monthly rate is tricky at best but, given that figure, the calculation is not wrong.

Miguel Bein, O J Ferreres, Aldo Ferrer, Lenicov. People who actually live and work in this country. Even the ex-director of INDEC, Bevacqua, said that their IPC is a bit lower.

Your source? Two foriegn newspapers quoting people that nobody knows.

I am sorry to disagree but I think I will bealive the economists that I mentioned above.

Cheers!

One of the "foreign newspapers nobody knows" is the Financial Times, which is the world's preeminent English Language daily newspaper reporting on finance and economics. It wildly surpasses the credibility of Miguel Bein, who appears to be little more than Cristina Fernandez' butt buddy. I haven't been able to find a single scholarly article published by him via scholar.google.com.ar, nor can I even find evidence of his economic credentials online (aside from on his own website) which seriosuly puts his Economic credibility into question. I would recommend seeking opinions from economists that have no political affiliations to avoid bias. Obviously the economist hired by the president will not contradict her opinions publicly...

Regarding the Inflation statistics, the are difficult to estimate because our brains are not designed for statistics. We are likely to to be overweighting the large price increases and underweighting the lower price increases to be arriving at an estimate that is slightly higher than the official rate because it is in line with our expectations. It's a natural bias that all humans succumb to.

It is also unfair to annualize a monthly inflation figure because it essentially is projecting forward January's inflation rate which is highly skewed due to the devaluation in the official rate. However, most people are projected a further decrease of over 20-25 percent in the official rate in 2014 so persistently higher inflation will continue. Furthermore, the full extent of the devaluation is probably not yet present in all prices, as old product stocks are probably still being depleted, and have yet to be replaced with new imports.

What bothers me about the debate is that nobody seems to be mentioning the role of the central bank in all of this. Price controls are always doomed to fail, history has served as a precedent for that over and over. This country needs some major monetary tightening.

Oh, and also, now that INDEC is reporting the real inflation rate, will they backdate it and modify all the economic statistics that are highly influenced by inflation? I'm thinking GDP for one which has been overstated wildly due to falsely low inflation statistics. Poverty rates are another statistic which will be wildly wrong assuming 10% inflation over the last several years. The GDP item is particularly damning because the government is currently paying out billions of dollars on GDP-linked government bonds. Interesting considering the GDP statistic is wildly inaccurate due to the underestimation of inflation. (Note GDP needs to be "deflated" by inflation - the inflation rate in economics is also referred to as the "GDP Deflator"). It makes you wonder why the government would choose to payout billions in unnecessary interest payments on a class of bonds due to a statistic they modified, especially at a time when debt payments are a large burden for the nation. Unless of course those people in government were major investors in those bonds....

Back