9 Buenos Aires surprising things

the person who wrote this is truly clueless. I shudder to think what she would write about Los Angeles, where she is ostensibly "from".
She apparently has an Argentine partner, and yet, arrived knowing nothing about the country...

the person who wrote this is truly clueless. I shudder to think what she would write about Los Angeles, where she is ostensibly "from".
She apparently has an Argentine partner, and yet, arrived knowing nothing about the country...
In my opinion, your opinion of the author is unwarranted. First impressions are just that. They are not meant to reveal deep insights or subtlies, but rather to highlight some unique characteristics for those who don't know much about the city.

I see about a dozen articles like this every year.
They are always amazed at a few of the same things, and always, manage to invent something that they find "common" in Buenos Aires that is, well, not common. How many pizzerias in BA? How many put pineapple on a pizza?
How many restaurants in BA will sell wine by the glass? 90%? and yet she tells the world, it doesnt happen here.
Sorry, this may be the kind of thing for a personal facebook post, but as a travel post, I expect just the slightest bit of research and due diligence.
And I cant remember ever being in a restaurant in BA that wont bring you black pepper if you ask- and my wife has, every single time, for fifteen years or so.
I lived in LA for 10 years, and my guess is she doesnt know squat about that, either.
PS- currently, she lives in Barcelona- and, guess what, when she wrote about that, she was Astonished to find out they speak Catalan in Catalonia. Who knew?

I see about a dozen articles like this every year.
They are always amazed at a few of the same things, and always, manage to invent something that they find "common" in Buenos Aires that is, well, not common. How many pizzerias in BA? How many put pineapple on a pizza?
How many restaurants in BA will sell wine by the glass? 90%? and yet she tells the world, it doesnt happen here.
Sorry, this may be the kind of thing for a personal facebook post, but as a travel post, I expect just the slightest bit of research and due diligence.
And I cant remember ever being in a restaurant in BA that wont bring you black pepper if you ask- and my wife has, every single time, for fifteen years or so.
I lived in LA for 10 years, and my guess is she doesnt know squat about that, either.
PS- currently, she lives in Barcelona- and, guess what, when she wrote about that, she was Astonished to find out they speak Catalan in Catalonia. Who knew?
I agree with you. I am somewhat irritated by articles like that, and the authors' sheer lack of knowledge of the places they visit, or even worse they will be living in. It might just be me, but I love reading of a place before visiting it, it is part of the trip and I enjoy it.
I remember a video of two travel Youtubers that were baffled by the sheer number of people of Japanese origin in Sao Paulo, totally clueless to the fact that there you have one of the biggest communities of Japanese outside of Japan. I bet that the Lonely Planet guide would have told that.

I LIKE reading travel guides. Back in the day, I practically had the Indonesia Handbook memorized, and its 500 pages long. I used to have probably 3 feet of Lonely Planet books, some for places I went, others for places I never will go. Good travel writing is a pleasure. Bad travel writing has no excuse.

The great books about Argentina are all, in the end, travel books for me- a way to learn about the place, and thus, enjoy it more- from Chatwin's In Patagonia, to The Motorcycle Diaries, to Borges, to Maria Ganza's recent book Portrait of an Unknown Lady.
This article is a great example of what writing about Argentina SHOULD be like- And its about a couple week long road trip. https://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/34/oles.php

Back