90 days or 3 months?

Bron

Registered
My time is coming up for my first trip out of the country to get a new stamp...just a quick question. Do I have to leave the country within 90 days of arriving OR do I have to have left and returned within the 90 days? You get what I'm saying? There may be an obvious answer to this but I prefer to see what other people say.

I arrived in Buenos Aires on November 11...do you think it would be okay to leave by the 10th of February? I obviously don't want to push my luck, that's why I'm asking on this forum. I will leave earlier if I have to, but some Uruguayan friends of mine are out of town until the 10th and I'd like to see them.

Please give any opinions or information you have about this! Gracias, eh?

Bronson
www.myspace.com/brontennisbass

I don't live there yet (that will change March 2nd!!! YAY!!!), but I have been researching this website for months now. You can extend your tourist visa for another 90 days before you leave the country. It seems to be the thing to do.... extend your visa then 90 days later (before your 90 days is up that is) leave the country and come back. There are a few threads on this forum about where is the BEST place to renew your tourist visa.. do a search for "extend tourist visa".

There are lots of threads on this... even some recent. We posted a few questions in the "expat life" section you might find useful....Also there is a guy in this forum named steveinbsas who seems to be REALLY informative.

Good luck and see you soon!

Well, you have to leave before 90 days is up. Leaving and returning within 90 days doesn't hurt - it just resets your next 90 days from the point you return. In other words, if you are asking if you have to return to Buenos Aires before the 90 days is up - no. You can leave on the 89th day and return on the 91st (or 92nd, or 100th, etc).

You have to count your days to make sure you don't miss a day. You can't make it "3 months - 1 day" unless your visa says "3 Meses" or "Tres Meses." I took a quick look through my passport to see what was being awarded when. Back in 2006, and early 2007 I received 3 months, not 90 days. April 15, 2007 I came in and they gave me 90 days. Every visa after that until June 2009 (last time I reentered the country) I received 90 days, and those entries and exits were coming in through EZE (airplane fromt he states), Colonia (port border) or Clorinda (land border). I.e., I don't know that the entry point had anything to do with it.

I'm thinking that they only do 90 days now, not 3 months, but check your passport to make sure.

If it's 90 days, it literally needs to be on or before the 90th day that you leave the country. Considering that December and January have 31 days and not 30, plus remove a day for the subtraction of the first day past, and I make your 90th day as the 8th of February. NOT the 10th or the 11th.

If you stay more than 90 days, and tell them you thought 90 days means 3 months, they will look impassively at you and point you to the counter to pay the fine :) I know this to be true, because the last time I left the country, I drove to Clorinda from Buenos Aires to cross into Paraguay from Argentina. I miscalculated my stay by one day. They were not amused.

Thanks for the info. My passport says 3 months but it's probably best not to risk it.

90 days, the guy/gal actually grabs a calendar and starts counting if it is close, in my experience.

All terms in the Immigration law are stated in days, not months.

However, if your passport says 3 months, and you want to take your chances, Argentine law (Civil Code, section 25) states that terms of months or years end on the same day the respective month has, regardless of the number of days the months or years have. Thus, a term beginning on the 15th of a month, will end on the 15th of the respective month.

If the month in which the term starts has more days than the month in which in term ends, and if the term runs from one of the days when the first of these months exceeds the second, the term will end on the last day of second month (Civil Code, section 26). Both are free translations, if in doubt, check the original in Spanish (http://www.infoleg.gov.ar/infolegInt...r_tituloII.htm).

Back