A Decent Parrilla In Recoleta Area?

RichardP

Registered
Not looking for a gourmet place. Just a decent steak. It's getting so hit and miss anymore. Used to be that it was almost impossible to find a bad bife de chorizo here. The last couple I've had were like chewing on old pair of Nikes.

I agree with El Estrebe (best mollejas anywhere) but not with Rodi bar or Parilla Pena. The latter has good prices but the meat is tough. So then the prices are not good after all.

In Recoleta I recommend Buenos Aires Grill on Santa Fe between Riobamba and Callao I think. The meat there is consistently good. Another place is Nuestro Secreto at the Four Seasons, but it's expensive.

Because the quality is uneven I cook at home much better steaks. Just go to carniceria Covadonga on Rodriguez Pena and Vicente Lopez and get a steak and cook it yourself. A fraction of the price you'd pay at restaurant and the quality is consistently good.

Rodi has great Lomo on Ayacucho y Vicente Lopez, Parrilla Peña, Rodriguez Peña 682.

LOMO DE RODI
reservations suggested​

IMG_7118.JPG

Not looking for a gourmet place. Just a decent steak. It's getting so hit and miss anymore. Used to be that it was almost impossible to find a bad bife de chorizo here. The last couple I've had were like chewing on old pair of Nikes.
Yes and Nikes are made in China.

I agree with El Estrebe (best mollejas anywhere) but not with Rodi bar or Parilla Pena. The latter has good prices but the meat is tough. So then the prices are not good after all.

In Recoleta I recommend Buenos Aires Grill on Santa Fe between Riobamba and Callao I think. The meat there is consistently good. Another place is Nuestro Secreto at the Four Seasons, but it's expensive.

Because the quality is uneven I cook at home much better steaks. Just go to carniceria Covadonga on Rodriguez Pena and Vicente Lopez and get a steak and cook it yourself. A fraction of the price you'd pay at restaurant and the quality is consistently good.

When I asked a Parrilla owner why the week before the bife was superb and the next week was fair...? He mentioned "All cows are not the same! :wub:

Thanks for that info. I haven't found a decent carneceria in the area and I like this idea even better. I lived in San Telmo for years and bought meat in the market there and could always count on a good steak in several restaurants in the neighborhood. The country is changing though. The overall quality of meat has gone way down in recent years.

Why, specifically, don't you like Rodi? It has remained one of our neighborhood favorites for 10 years --

Why, specifically, don't you like Rodi? It has remained one of our neighborhood favorites for 10 years --

I haven't had the steak at Rodi, but I ate there a number of times and found the food to be mediocre and therefore overpriced. The only thing I liked was the fried brains (a favorite of mine that's difficult to find) but the other things I had were mediocre to bad. I had the costilla de cerdo and it was low quality, unseasoned meat. The fact that they don't season this tells me they probably also don't season their steaks. Also it was overcooked and the meat quality was low...this "tells" the restaurant.

The high class steakhouses (Nuestro Secreto, Fervor, etc.) understand you have to season meat before you cook it.

Anyway I can't speak to the quality of steak at Rodi but after trying some of the other things I wouldn't eat there again.

Back