A Newbie to Expats In Las Vegas NV

Nancy Ruggeri

Registered
Hello Expats...

I wanted to say thank you for that great page turner I read yesterday regarding the apartment scammer! (http://baexpats.org/expat-life/11930-stay-away-apartment-rental.html)

You were were all awesome ! It was late and I was tired but I could not stop reading it. I also noticed today that it made several websites...you can not avoid seeing this scammer on line.

I was born in Argentina and came to the states when I was very young. It was always the plane that someday the entire family would return home to the mother land, as dad called it.

I have lived for 3 to 8 months at a time when I was younger. The last time I was there in was 23 years ago. I have been busy raising my family. The point I am trying to make is that your living my dream, the dream ? When I had a chance to stay I just wasnt as brave as you have been. It was the time of the Dirty War and there didnt appear any opportunties, made the all the worse with my mothers concern for over "the hard life in Argentina". So I am living vicariously via all your comments on life in Argentina seen via the eyes of Expats and like watching a reality show...you are a very interesting lot! I am surprise one of you hasnt thought to do a reality show....Expats Exposed!

I find something very interesting. When I was there last I was shocked to find out that I would need a garantia to get an apartment...in 1986 I could not find temporary apartments ...they were more like hotels and very expensive. My cousin put up her garantia and frankly , even though it was explained to me , I had no idea what a big deal it was. Its simply rediculous! I remember seeing that in the new paper there were people that would be your garantia for money...so I think its one of those legit scams that people come up with. And the ones that come up with it first make all the money up front.lol

I love my country and most of my fellow Argentines are wonderful people, but as stated in this forum, it is horrible how they treat/scam tourist and the poor trusting American. My family panics when when I help a charity org or go down to Argentina becuase I seem so vulnerable to them. And I have on occasion been scammed or duped here and there but luckily not too badly.
I was reading here that many times you all are paying higher prices because they notice you are a foriegner ...have you thought of a getting a trusted front man so you dont have pay more than Argies ( love how you call them Argies, I say them because I really dont belong there or here...although I think of Argentina as my country...I always feel like a visitor..they do not see me as an Argentina)

I also notice that some you have been stating that things there are more expensive and that the quality of life doesnt seem to be as great ( some of you have said , not all ) Well I hate to tell you but this mortgage fiasco here has been no picnic , specially in Vegas which was one of the states that was hit the hardest) at least in Buenos Aires even when your broke you can take a long walk through the Parks of Palermo, see people argueing politics , resolving the worlds problems...there is an energy to the place. Sorry to say that American is not what it use to be and it said to have come here as a child, to have seen it its glory , and to observe to what has happening here. I am seeing things happening that I normally observe in Argentina. The struggle to pay your energy bill ( we just got hicked 2 times last year , the governor just vetoed a bill for another hick ) to buy groceries. People are discontent and angry! My point is that you should be happy that at least your where you want to be, it may not be as great as it use to be, but it beats putting up with all this stuff going on at home.
I love America but Its become really obvious that the politicians, specially the Republicans, are working for the corporations and the middle class can go f*(^*%k Off.

Well I dont want to bore you...just thought I would introduce myself and ask you write more.

I do have a question ...do any of you get involved in any of the social causes while your there... volunteer, etc? Keep writing and I will keep reading thank you! :D

Gees...I forgot to do a spell check...sorry about the grammer...I was typing really fast and ....well you know the rest...thans

Back