A PSA for newcomers - renting apts

citygirl

Registered
If you rent an apt here - you will have to pay for it upfront. (At least one month - maybe the entire rental period depending on whom you rent it from) And pay a security deposit. So bring the money with you as taking out money here is only in pesos and there are daily withdrawal limits and if the landlord wants dollars - as many do - you're going to have to take it out and then exchange it. And NO, landlords don't take credit cards.

I have mentioned before that I have a friend who rents out some apts. In the last few months, he has had several people show up to Argentina (all foreigners), come to the apartment and then not have the money with them. :eek: He's nice and trusting (I can't say I would be the same) and has let them stay in the apt and then wait the few days to get the full amount due.

It kind of boggles my mind that people think it would be okay to show up without the amount in hand to a foreign country and just hope for the best but it's happened on more than one occasion. And most landlords won't be so understanding and you could find yourself on the street.

And before anyone asks, he has certainly said in emails the amount due when you check in will be XXX. But a few people have gotten here and just thought "Oh, I"ll take out the money here, where is the ATM:rolleyes:)

So that's my PSA and gentle reminder to newcomers.

I just want to second that, its good advice! I wish somebody had warned me too!

We had to pay 2 months of commission, a month of deposit, and 6 months of rent in advanced to be able to get an apartment in pesos instead of dollars. It's important to be ready with the money if you want a good apartment here.

Well, you would think most tourists know that they need money but my experiences lately have proven otherwise to me;) Hence my PSA. And personally, I don't consider it strange to pay up front if the owner has no way of coming after you if you (the renter) decides to bail. And a 1 month security deposit wouldn't begin to cover the damages if someone was an idiot. (To whit - the asshole that decided to doodle all over my friend's imported white leather sofa:mad:)

In my best friend's case, he doesn't require the entire rent up front if someone is renting for a longer time period but that's his choice. I totally understand if people feel otherwise. And yes, of course rents are higher for short-term, furnished apts - that's true all over the world.

As for getting ripped off on a daily basis - I can't say that has been my experience. I'm sorry to hear its been otherwise for you.

Lee said:
I can tell you that you will get FUCKED here.

I am going on 4 years and I still get it every day

Damn dude you should move to Colombia.

I've been here 10 years and never been fucked over. I don't even think people have tried 10 times to fuck me over.

Does the law allow a merchant or landlord to insist upon payment in a foreign currency? If a tenant tenders full payment ( whether it be security deposit, rent, commission, etc) in pesos, is the other party permitted to reject the tender and break the contract for non-payment?

A very good friend who speaks Castellano, found me an apartment after i was ready to give up. I went through about eight bait and switch scenarios before he stepped in and found a broker and a landlord that we could work with. (You go through bait and switch in the states too so I was hardly surprised at that.) I showed up to the apartment viewing wearing my best business attire half expecting to be met by a crotchety old man with a bunch of keys and was happily surprised to be met by three young, hip urban guys who completely put me at ease.

Afterward, I had to pay the deposit, and three months rent in advance but they met me at my hotel and accepted a mixture of cash and dollars.

Obviously this isn't how it's done in the US but part of the reason for coming here was because it's NOT the US. I'd read the forums here, as well as talked friends, and run google checks on each of the people involved, (Broker, Landlord, Translator) and did what I could to protect myself short of taking a lawyer along....and... so far, everything has turned out GREAT.

Great apartment, great location and I'm having a great time.

So not all experiences here are bad...many are quite good....

Cheers!

LJ

FYI: Expect the contract to be in Castellano, and if possible ask that it be emailed to you in advance so you have time to translate it.

Just thinking about this b/c yet ANOTHER tenant showed up to my friend's apartment and said "Oh.. I don't have the money to pay for the rent. We could only take out 1000 pesos at the ATM."

People - BRING MONEY WITH YOU!!!!!!

I arrived 5 days after reserving an apartment online from NYC, with all cash in hand (which I was nervous to travel with, but it worked out). The woman who was supposed to meet me was not here as promised and she knew I didn't have a local cell phone and was supposed to be monitoring my flight (delayed 4 hours). The taxi driver, a lovely man, drove me around 2 hours and would not leave me alone, called his daughter who spoke English, tried to call the management company for me (no answer) - bless his heart, I wish I had his number so I could take him to dinner.

There are about a dozen other things wrong since I've gotten to the apartment (filthy kitchen, no hot water) and the management company is terrible, which is a shame, because my apartment is really nice - it's not the apartment, it's the management.

Bottom line - warning to all - do not EVER rent from Zen Propiedades (http://www.zenpropiedades.com). Stay away from them!

by the way, i agreed to pay in T-checks for my rent and may still need to change some of them in pesos, does anyone know best place to exchange a large sum ???
L

Back