A Tax Question From An Argentine Living In The Usa

steveinbsas

Registered
I know of a woman who was born in BA and left to live in the USA when she was a teenager. She returned to Argentina a couple years ago at the age of 60 and and got her DNI and Argentine passport for the fist time. She only stayed for two months and returned to the US because she could not sell her condo (and still has not). She has social security income and owns the condo. I don't think she is planning on coming back to Argentina to live.

She has a question about tax liability. She discovered, after getting the DNI, that Argentina taxes it's citizens on their "worldwide" income and assets. She thinks that she does not have any liability because she lives outside Argentina. I've heard AFIP was "going after" Argentine citizens with foreign assets. She acquired everything she owns before the getting the DNI, if that makes any difference and never had any Argentine income or assets.

Does anyone know what her Argentine tax liabilities might be?

Income tax on Social Security benefits?

Bienes personales on he condo?

I know of a woman who was born in BA and left to live in the USA when she was a teenager. She returned to Argentina a couple years ago at the age of 60 and and got her DNI and Argentine passport for the fist time. She only stayed for two months and returned to the US because she could not sell her condo (and still has not). She has social security income and owns the condo. I don't think she is planning on coming back to Argentina to live.

She has a question about tax liability. She discovered, after getting the DNI, that Argentina taxes it's citizens on their "worldwide" income and assets. She thinks that she does not have any liability because she lives outside Argentina. I've heard AFIP was "going after" Argentine citizens with foreign assets. She acquired everything she owns before the getting the DNI, if that makes any difference and never had any Argentine income or assets.

Bienes personales is a tax that applies to:

A. Physical persons that reside in Argentina and have assets in it and/or other countries.
B. Physical persons that reside in another country and have assets in Argentina.

You can check this yourself (Decreto 281/97, Article 17, Link). In other words, she doesn't have to pay anything because she doesn't reside in Argentina and doesn't have assets in it. She could have to pay something if she inherits something in the US (the law mentions sucesiones indivisas, but is not really simple to explain it as it has several variables), but the reality is that Argentina doesn't have the resources to check what everyone is doing outside its borders and they don't really care cause they won't get anything with the current tax system (unlike the US where the IRS works in a different way). She doesn't have to fill yearly taxes or anything, so at the eyes of Argentina she isn't important because they don't have a way to make her pay anything.

Hope it helps.

Please learn to distinguish between "it's" and "its."

Please learn to distinguish between "it's" and "its."
f-ckin-amp-039-grammar-nazis-credit-to-cyanide-and-happiness_gp_1403731.jpg

Back