Absentee owners - learn from my mistakes

PaulBee

Registered
Hopefully you people would not make the mistakes I have, but just in case:
-Remember that a property manager who´s treated you ethically for many years, may go
for your last drop of blood when he decides to retire ! IE: Get a copy of rental contracts before
they are signed. The property manager and tenant could make a sweetheart deal at the
owner´s expense. IE: my property manager ALWAYS wrote the guarantor info on the
contract. If it is not written there, there is no guarantor. At the end, I was shocked to see
there was no guarantor and it seems it will cost me more to evict than I got in rent !

The lawyer charges US$2000 to start and US$100/monthly until the case is settled.
I am told if the tenant gets no lawyer, the case should take about 6 to 8 months. If the
tenant gets a lawyer, it may take 18 months to 2 years roughly.

I have an illness which precludes me living in Argentina. It causes some cognizance
problems, so I hope no one will judge me too harshly.

bdk1

Registered
I’m really sorry this happened to you. I have a lawyer cousin who used to work in evictions and just the other day she said it’s a lot easier to pay someone to go scare the shit out of your tenants so that they will leave voluntarily.

PaulBee

Registered
I’m really sorry this happened to you. I have a lawyer cousin who used to work in evictions and just the other day she said it’s a lot easier to pay someone to go scare the shit out of your tenants so that they will leave voluntarily.

I am sure that - and worse - happens though I would not do it. The tenant has been so rotten with loud, drunken parties on week nights and causing damage in the building that I have fantasized about finding a group of big S & M guys to go into the apartment and have fun ! Haha ! One landlord got so fed up he burnt his house down, years ago.

nikad

Registered
I am so sorry to hear about this. Your best bet is to go creative.

QuilmesSlo

Registered

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a guy that did this -- boy, was he a tough son of a bitch. People left.