Activities, Camps Or Other Things For Kids During Break?

CiscoR

Registered
My family, including two children ages 7 and 5, will be coming down to BA while I am on short term assignment. They will be coming down between the end of November to the end of December. I believe shcools are on break at this time. We wanted to get them involved with some activities with other children, possibly a bilingual school (they speak english and very little spanish). We will be in the Recoleta area. Are there day camps in B.A. similar to the US during the winter break? What other types of activities are there or what do most local children do during the winter break? Any schools in the area that might allow them to enroll for just a short period?

I don't know about specifics but you keep saying winter break. It's going to be summer and it's the LONG break here. I'm sure there will be summer camp like activities so look into that.

Sorry....I am still here in Dallas....so my mind is still thinking US seasons. But yes...the summer break in Argentina

Some schools do indeed arrange day activities during the long holidays, under supervision by trained volunteers.
They're called colonia de vacaciones.

Summer break doesn't start until end of December -- the period that you are talking about children will still be in school, so summer activities won't yet be starting unfortunately. School finishes around the same time as USA get's out for Christmas -- but here it marks the beginning of their summer break, which goes until February. You may be able to find some activities on the weekends for your kids, how is their spanish?

Edit: sorry see you say they have little spanish... hmm that may make a bit difficult for some activities. You could look to see if there is anything in Tigre or Acassuso perhaps (I'm thinking water activities, sailing lessons etc). On the mum's group on facebook someone just posted this place, they may have something your kids could join: http://www.espacioexpresarte.com.ar/)

Sorry to add confusion, but many of the schools are out end of November. One of my favorite places for camp is "Club De Amigos" clubdeamigos.org.ar - we sent our son who spoke little English when he was 4 over the December holiday season and he did very well. It's a bit of a hike from recoleta, but IMHO worth it. The heat in December can be pretty awful.

oops, i meant we sent our son who at the time spoke little spanish to Club de Amigos and he did fine.

Summer break (school) starts at the beginning of December actually.
It's a long, long holiday.

i would second Club de Amigos. Also i recently saw that the Buenos Aires Zoo has a summer camp program.

Back