Aduana Problems?

intercultural

Registered
I am hearing stories about problems bringing various items into the country, including vitamins and electronics. Has anyone had problems? Ended up paying duty on things such as your own cell phone or a laptop for a friend? How much duty? Thanks for your stories.

Never had to pay any duties on my own things. Only time I got questioned was when I brought a kitchen aid in my suitcase but since it was 15 years old and clearly used there was no problem as long as I take it with me when I go.

Duty to be paid is 50% of the value over $300 so, for example, if you have a computer that cost $700 you will pay $200 in duty. (700-300= 400, 50% of 400=$200)

I have mailed vitamins and spices along with small electronics items to myself from the states via USPS Global Express and never had to pay any fee or duties on them.

I just came in with vitamins, a laptop and 2 10" tablets. (Also twist ties, perfume, peanut butter and Altoids) No problems at all. Last year they took my cranberries :angry: , but not my projector.

My mother in law arrived 10 days ago. If you are a foreigner, you can bring whatever you want. They are just looking for food or plants.....for asking for a brive.

Successfully received 21 boxes of stuff shipped from Ireland. So far nothing missing. Everything shipped back under my wife's name as a returning citizen.

Just got back 4 days ago with a few new electronics and clothes and extras. No problem.

Try to avoid having someone send stuff to you by post. I used DHL to receive some old clothes of mine and a few chocolate tablets. Guess what, these are "prohibited items". I ended up paying over USD 90 in fees + taxi to go to the customs at the airport to release the package + package handling/storage fees (200 pesos). Took me almost the entire day to complete this ridiculously long, bureaucratic release procedure, it was a nightmare.

Back