Advice And Information For Future Expat In Ba

jovana84

Registered
Hello,

After a long break, I am again here.
Current location BC,Canada.
if I find a job by the end of June 201 or the end of August 2013 because then my contract expires with the employers here.
Otherwise, I live in caregiver nanny.
I looking for job like a nanny, shifts in the hotel/hostels,restaurants, cleaner, mascots :)
So if you hear that someone is looking for workers here I am.
otherwise, and I plan to enroll in a language school.

Otherwise I'm interested in and rent a small apartment (how did they cost) and if I share a larger apartment with a 2-3-4 people that everyone has their own bedroom, how do you rent and expenses?I think that it is financially profitable to share an apartment with other people and share the costs.
Can you tell me how are the monthly costs for food, more fruits and vegetables than meat ...utilities and household costs?

Then entertaiment like dinners out,cinema,fitness etc?

About bank what is good bank for foreigners?

What is best way to look for job, i mean for websites and similar?
My english is fluent but only problem is grammar :(
I hope that is not big problem.

And how much money i need for start ,including all cost for example 3 months advance?

p.s. Does anyone know how much the course cost UBA, because I sent them a message last Monday, and more still have no answer for it?

Thank you so much for everything.

Depending on who you ask, the amount will vary.
Less than 5000 pesos a month will be hard, especially because as a foreigner you will have to pay more for housing. 8000 pesos a month and you will be comfortable (able to go out, take some classes, travel a few times a year), 12000 golden. These are prices based on being single and sharing an apartment or renting something moderate, this is not the cost for a family.
Electronics are more than in the US/Canada, as is clothing.
You can find tons of prices by looking at supermarket websites on line.

Apartment cost will be your biggest outlay, but it depends on where you want to live. If you want to stick to Recoleta, Retiro, Palermo, Belgrano etc you will pay a lot more (all things equal) than if you were to branch out. If your looking to share, maybe check out Craigs list.

Depending on who you ask, the amount will vary.
Less than 5000 pesos a month will be hard, especially because as a foreigner you will have to pay more for housing. 8000 pesos a month and you will be comfortable (able to go out, take some classes, travel a few times a year), 12000 golden. These are prices based on being single and sharing an apartment or renting something moderate, this is not the cost for a family.
Electronics are more than in the US/Canada, as is clothing.
You can find tons of prices by looking at supermarket websites on line.

Thank you so much for this...its very helpful...
I have my electronics,so i need to figure out who to bring that...i have mini office,two laptops,printer,graphic tablet and android tablet...i work a lot of on computers.....
do you know if i will pay some taxes or in airplanes overweight or how to bring all this?

Well,about money,i know for start i cant get a lot of money,because i need to learn Spanish and much more to improve my grammar English...but i dont worry about finance and struggling with them...because every start is hard...

What supermarkets websites to look?

Well i am single of course,i dont need some luxury,just normal place for rent and to work ..

Thank you so much....
Jovana

Apartment cost will be your biggest outlay, but it depends on where you want to live. If you want to stick to Recoleta, Retiro, Palermo, Belgrano etc you will pay a lot more (all things equal) than if you were to branch out. If your looking to share, maybe check out Craigs list.

Well i dont need to be in center but near bus lines or close of them that i can go around :)

Moving to a less expensive area can mean a savings of US$300/month max? will that compensate for the additional travel time...!!! or your personal SAFETY....!! Security, security, security.
Good luck

Rich One is correct, like everything its a trade off. But, expensive doesnt necessarily mean safe, either. Travel time also is going to depend on where you work and where you hang out. That I dont know the answer to.

For example, you may want to try looking in barrios such as Caballito, Villa Crespo, Almagro, Nuñez (just not too close to Estadio Monumental). These, still good middle to upper middle class barrios but perhaps a little more cost effective than others. Most of these should be pretty close to Subway stations as well.

Thank you so much for this all information.

Does anyone know how to go enroll in a course for Spanish on UBA and how much cost?
Nobody Replying to email from there?!

And ... one more thing, is it okay that an employer to ask for position jobs in a bar and restaurant, for my picture in my CV?

Hi Jovana,

I am an ESL teacher, hoping to move to BA in a week. I know that a picture with a CV is standard through out Latin America. Also questions about age and marital status are standard. Hope this helps.

Moving to a less expensive area can mean a savings of US$300/month max? will that compensate for the additional travel time...!!! or your personal SAFETY....!! Security, security, security.
Good luck

Yikes, that sounds like someone that's been listening a little too much to the news! There are a lot of cheaper areas that are as safe, or even more safe than Recoleta (remember, Recoleta has seen the lovely return of the quemacoches band... maybe not injuring people right now, but were you to cross them in the middle of that action I wouldn't be surprised if you were threatened). I'm just saying that living in Recoleta or another very expensive barrio doesn't guarantee safety. There are a lot of middle class neighbourhoods that are cheaper and perfectly fine safety-wise. Like any barrio, you need to learn the good parts and the parts to avoid. Cheaper barrios don't mean La Boca or even Baracas, I'm thinking more like Boedo, Almagro, Villa Urquiza, some areas of Chacarita (some are icky at night), Saavedra, Coghlan, some parts Colegiales (because some parts are just as expensive as Palermo/Belgrano). There's a whole lot more barrios out there. 300 USD is 1500 pesos in conservative estimates right now, that's a lot of money. In fact, in a lot of barrios I just mentioned, that would be your rent.

Also, 300USD "compensate for additional travel time", well you'd have to take a TONNE of cabs to even come close to spending that much, so yeah, there's a lot of people out there that would say sure, it will compensate.

Back