advice for an aspiring foodie

JuliaR26

Registered
I moved to Buenos Aires almost two months ago to teach English, but I'm considering a change in my career path. I've decided to apply for a Master degree from the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Italy. The actual degree is in Food Culture and Communications and it aims "to provide students with the knowledge of high-quality products from a cultural, social, and historical perspective, in order to develop professional skills in food promotion and education."

I would love to get involved in some kind of organisation here in Buenos Aires which involves the study of food culture, the promotion of sustainable development, etc. The University was founded by Slow Food, so I'm thinking I would like to get involved with an organisation in the same vein. I know there is a Argentine branch of Slow Food, and I'm looking to get involved with it.

I'm not sure where else to look, mostly because of my beginner level of Spanish and lack of experience - I'm 21 years old, just graduated with a BA in history, and apart from having an appreciation of good food, have no experience in the field. So if anyone has advice about how to best enter the gastronomic field, I would love to hear it!

Also, if anyone has a copy of the book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and is willing to lend it to me, it would be greatly appreciated!

--Julia

Hi Julia,

I'm not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for, but here are a few informative sites I've been looking at about gastronomía.

-http://www.espaciogastronomico.com.ar/ (Sorry, but this one is all Spanish) - This site covers topics from every facet of the restaurant industry here, restaurant architecture and restaurant marketing included. The interviews with local food professionals are in-depth, and I feel like they give me an idea about food trends here. I haven't looked to see if there's information about clubs or organizations that specialize in slow food and/or food culture, but they do have a list of cooking schools with websites. Maybe the schools or their websites could put you in contact with the right people.

-http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/ - You've probably already found this one, but just in case you haven't it's the most popular restaurant review site for BsAs. The info is in Spanish, but sometimes people post reviews in English.

I'm also teaching English and am looking to study gastronomy here next year. Hopefully someone with more information will come along and post.

Good luck with your quest! I think so many people, like me, who've grown up in fast-food cultures could benefit from better (or any) food education.

--Nancy

I studied gastronomy here last year. First I took classes at Gato Dumas, a school in Belgrano where I took group classes where we didn't actually do that much cooking. It was fun, informative, and we drank some wine. Overall, not very serious.

I then found this woman through a friend who sometimes does private classes (me and one friend went). She is an absolutely amazing person, a gastronomic anthropologist of sorts who has collected amazing recipes from all over the country, brazil, and from her guarani antecedents. We made amazing food and I learned so much about the ingredients and their histories. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will pass along her information.

Hi there,

I am currently studying gastronomy at a school in Vicente Lopez (Northern Suburbs) called Maussi Sebess. It is supposed to be the best of South America (ojo! you hear so many superlatives here evreyday ...!) and is attended by mostly South American people. It is expensive by Argentinean standard but the diploma is (supposed) to be recognized worldwide

Please let me known if you find food clubs as I would be glad to join

One point is that I am a French national. I came to gastronomy as a hobbie but however did not want to study at Le Cordon Bleu for crazy fees. I guess when learning to drive, you should not start with a Ferrari..

To the person who had private cooking with the Guarani woman, I d like to have her contact

Back