Advice Needed: Temp Residence -> Perm Residence Or Stay As T

oiram

Registered
I'm in a conundrum, my residency (temporary student residence) is expiring (my dni date is next thursday) and while I have been intending to renew it (because I'm still enrolled at uni) a paperwork f*ckup by the uni has pushed the trámite to last possible minute against my will. Meanwhile, 'scared' that I would become irregular during these scary times me and my girlfriend has been thinking of anticipating our planned union civil as a plan B and possibly request a permanent residency instead of the temporary one.

I wouldn't think we would have time for the union ceremony but at registro civil today they told us we could get 'into union' next Wednesday (a day before my dni expires). I am planning to schedule a turno at DNM for the day my DNI expires (the date on DNI, is it still valid on that day?)

My request for advice:

- should I try to go for the permanent residency despite the 'shady' closeness of the DNI expiring date and the date of union union? Or will this be baddly seen by DNM?

My dillema is mostly to do with paperwork. While the student paperwork got delayed it is simpler to apply for that extension. On the other hand the permanent residency is what we ultimatly seek.

I'm not sure I have all the paperwork I need to change my temp residency into a perm one: my antecedentes penales from my original country may now be too old to be valid, although last time they told me if I sweared I haven't been to the country since it would still be valid - I have been for a couple of weeks on holiday last month. My birth certificate is apostilled and is multilingual (the form already includes labels in several languages), so I don't think it needs translation but I'm worried DNM may not care and required it anyway. And lastly, on DMN website they also mention next to the birth certificate that I need a proof of civil status. I don't have that and don't know how I could get it from here and whether it exists in my coubtry. I would think that if I apply as a civil partner of a Argentinian that local certificate should be sufficient, no?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (to lower my tramites stress level and scare to be found in a extranjeros prisión)

You mean civil union? Are you planning to share the medical insurance? Because this is the only legal consequense.

I also have my doubts. The past few weeks have showed me how much contradictory and insuficiente information there is among different public admin departments.

According to DNM and the clerk at Registro Civil permanent residency can now be attained via certificado de Unión Convivencial (which is neither a union civil - UC - nor a certificado de convivencia - CC). A CC is enough to enable the sharing of your spouse's obra social. The UC is the 'new concubinato' with more rights and duties.

Rich :

I dont understand "oil" palms? you mean put some cooking oil?

money. haha... go to the school and "dar lucha" until someone can push your tramite along quicker. If you can't sweet talk someone, I think Rich is suggesting you "oil someone's palms" i.e. bribe them. ;-)

Am I wrong, Rich?

I suggest the following:

Go to migraciones at least one day before your student visa expires (I'd go ASAP).

Ask if you can renew your student visa after you get the uni paperwork but within 30 days after it expires. If the answer is yes I believe you would have to pay a 50% fine in addition to the renewal fee.

Ask if you should go to Uruguay to get a 90 day tourist visa next Thursday (if the T in the title of your thread stands for tourist I think that this would be the only way to get one), keeping in mind what Dr. Rubilar wrote about the border agents being able to do whatever they want (though he didn't provide any detailed information about what has actually happened to anyone making a visa run to get a new 90 day visa).

Be sure to ask if your return to your home country triggered the need for a new criminal background report for the student visa renewal.

If a new criminal report is required to get permanent residency based on marriage, I don't think they'll give you a precaria just because you got married the day before.

I don't know how to get "proof of civil status" from the USA (for example) because there is no national data base or agency to issue any kind of certificate, though county governments can provide copies of marriage certificates and state governments can provide copies of divorce decrees. Both can receive the Apostille.

If you can get married in Argentina without "proof of civil status" you will then be able to prove your civil status to migraciones as you'll be married to an Argentine in Argentina.

I don't think you have to worry about your marriage being "seen badly" by migraciones just because it would coincide with the expiration of your student visa.

They're primary concern is that your papers (for whatever visa you apply for) are in order.

And I do not suggest trying to bribe them!

Back