Advice On Bringing Big Electronics Into Argentina

oamter

Registered
Hi all!

I am thinking about trying to bring down A DGT printer, a heavy duty printer to print images onto t-shirts. Its big, its heavy and its expensive. What are they going to say to me at customs in Ezeiza and how much are they going to try to charge me? I wouldn't even think of trying to sneak it past them.

Things are getting stricter from what I can tell. Anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks

i think for stuff like that you have to contact someone from aduana before you ship it, have everything worked out already before you even send it

have a professional Freight Forwarder Air Freight it down. It is expensive , but they handle all the paper work , and in knowing customs , they can sometimes (wink,wink) get things through without hassles and a ton of duty if any.

And no surprises or worries arriving at EZE.

Unless it has Ralph Lauren written on it........

Assuming its small enough that the airline will let you, I would just take it in as checked baggage. Bring along the original reciept (new price- Argentine customs will charge you on the new price, they could care less if you paid 10% on Craigslist).
I would make it look used, and tell them its for personal use, if they ask- ie, dont leave it, brand new, unopened in its orginal packaging, shrink wrap, and with all its stickers on.

Most of the time, assuming you are not travelling on an argentine passport, they will just wave you thru.
Once in a while, you will get flagged, and have to pay duty on it.
So you have at least a fifty percent chance of no duty at all, and, paying duty, yourself, is going to be WAAY cheaper than paying shipping, handling, storage, duty, and misc. fees that will happen if you ship it down.
Obviously, make sure you are able to pay the duty if need be. Cash is best, they may take a credit card, they may not.

Even paying duty, its going to be cheaper than buying one in BsAs, assuming one is even available.

I bring various tools down, never had a problem. I recently brought my computerized embroidery machine down, not even a raised eyebrow.
Of course, it really was for my personal use, not resale or anything.

As I was waiting in the Aerolineas line at MIA, I saw at least 3 people with big screen tvs in the line. I don't know if they had to pay extra fees or taxes, but it seems it's possible to bring it on the plane with you.

Does the printer fit in a suitcase? I wouldn't go out of my way to declare it, but if they see it as you go through customs, then just have the receipt ready and make sure to explain that you're not Argentinean and that it's for your own use.

Back