Advice on Spanish language schools

Neilcampbell31

Registered
Hello everyone,

I am arriving in January from London and am looking to sign up to a Spanish school for 10-14 weeks in Buenos Aires. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I am a beginner so I have chosen schools over the one-to-one option as it would be cheaper at my level.

The school that seem viable so far :

Expanish (US$195 per week) http://www.expanish.com/
Pro - 12% reduction in price break if booking >10 weeks of classes, good website, seems well established, 20 hours per week, good focus on socializing.
Cons - No mention of homework, could be expensive

International House (US$200 per week) http://ih-buenosaires.com/index.php
Pros - it's a known brand, same place to do a CELTA, the course seems well structured and international language benchmarks
Cons - expensive and only 15 hours per week, poor information on their website

Any advice (esp. on prices!) would be really helpful!

Thanks guys,

Neil

Hey there,

going with the schools will always be a more expensive option. I learn in a small private group class, with a fantastic teacher, in a beautiful flat in Recoleta. We are all here for over 6 months, so there will be very little turn around on students.

The classes go from 10:45am-12:45am monday to friday, and costs USD$125 a week. Lunch is included (we make our own empanadas)

Our teacher always offers a free 1st class to make sure you feel good with the class. Let me know if this is of interest and ill put you in contact.

Best wishes

I recommend contacting both schools and asking a lot of questions! This way you can see how professional their responses are. I also recommend waiting until you get to Buenos Aires and then visiting schools in person before deciding. It is always easier to decide after seeing things with your own eyes.
As Chris said, it will always be more expensive with a formal school, but you do get a bit more accountability in terms of service and quality. You can definitely find cheaper options with a private professor (or the thing Chris was talking about), but a school might also have activities and services included. It all depends on what you are looking for. To just learn Spanish? To meet other foreigners who are new to the city? You can always try a school out for a week and then decide to book a longer program.

Good luck!

I would like to suggest Idiomas PLUS, they offer private, one-to-one classes on the days/times that the student prefers, and charge local prices.

In my opinion and experience, comparing and contrasting, they offer the lowest prices in the city and a money-back guarantee.

They charge approx $400 USD for two months' worth of private classes.

Specifically I recommend requesting to have classes with Gaby, she is a native and certified teacher (I noticed many other schools do not use actual teachers) who also teaches their Business Spanish classes and is a delight to have classes with.

Most of their web site is in Spanish, but here is the section regarding the Spanish program: http://www.idiomas-plus.com/spanish_program

I went to CUI for level one Spanish classes. They charge US$500 for one month of intensive classes - five days a week for three hours a day. It really really helped me and I met friends in the classes as well.

http://www.studyinbuenosaires.edu.ar/

Best of luck!!

If you are wanting to enrol in a Spanish language program in Argentina then it is worth checking out the free guide called Language School Secrets. It is a free guide published by a former language school agent.

In this guide you can learn some of the methods that agents use to tell which schools are relaible and which are not. It also outlines some ways that you may be able to save when you book. Abd it goes through a list of numerous things that you should consider before choosing a school and enrolling (there are some quite obvious things that many prospective students forget to ask about).

Hope it helps.

I recommend CUI as well. Very good teachers and good program. I did 3 months with CUI (Levels 2, 3, 4) a few years ago and went from being unable to speak anything but the most basic to completely conversational in 3 months. A lot of other people that studied with me saw drastic imporivements, as well. I also made a lot of friends there, and they do cultural outings and all the stuff that other schools do.

Like others have said, I'd consider visiting the two schools before signing up. Have you done any Spanish at all? If not, you should consider doing a course using Spanish audio before going. It will give you a great foundation before starting out.

Chris Campbell said:
Hey there,

going with the schools will always be a more expensive option. I learn in a small private group class, with a fantastic teacher, in a beautiful flat in Recoleta. We are all here for over 6 months, so there will be very little turn around on students.

The classes go from 10:45am-12:45am monday to friday, and costs USD$125 a week. Lunch is included (we make our own empanadas)

Our teacher always offers a free 1st class to make sure you feel good with the class. Let me know if this is of interest and ill put you in contact.

Best wishes

Hi Chris, This sounds great!!!
Please could you give me more information? My e-mail is [email protected].
Thanks ;)

Back