Advice, suggestions, or success stories finding jobs as foreigner

TehDeej

Registered
Hello all,

To state up front, I'm not asking work teaching English, waiting tables, or "unofficial" below the table type jobs.

I am here in Argentina on a tourist visa until the end of November. I am currently looking for work livening in South America and preferably Buenos Aires. As a foreigner I know that most local companies won’t really take a good look at me as they can pay local wages and don’t have to worry about work visas for a native employee. That being said I know that I will have to focus on multinationals most likely operating out of North America. I’m pretty sure though that I may have to focus my search in The US when I return later this year.

My background has been successfully developing major consumer electronic brands throughout Spanish speaking South America. I spent two years living here in 2010 and 2011 already while servicing clients in Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru.

I’ve been doing some networking and potentially have a line on a good job working and traveling in South America and living in Chicago (let’s just say I’m not a big fan of the cold). Another potential I have is with a company I know pretty well looking to expand their presence in South America who may be looking for somebody already located down South.

I am well aware of the challenges. Obtaining visas, competition from locals, getting paid in dollars from the US vs. pesos, and the deteriorating economic conditions and regulations.

Any thoughts or ideas you guys can provide is much appreciated. I’m all ears.

Thanks in advance,

D.J.

Have you considered the consulting route? Check elance and those type of sites. Ideally, you could work virtually for US companies and get paid into your US account. Wouldn't get you a DNI but would safeguard you from a deteriorating peso and allow you to earn in dollars.

If you are targeting multi-nationals, it's actually NBD for them to hire a foreigner as they already have permission from the gov't to employee extranjeros typically. All they need to do is issue you a pre-contrato, you go and do your paperwork and voila.

Find out who has offices here and send in your resume.

I would also recommend you check bumeran.com.ar

Back