Affordable Spanish Classes?

TRAND

Registered
Hello. I just moved to Buenos Aires and I am looking to take Spanish lessons. Does anyone know of any affordable Spanish lessons? I looked at Centro Universitario de Idiomas, which offers Spanish for foreigners, but it cost 550 USD for 1 month of classes. This seems pretty expensive to me . I also looked at VOS which offers 9 hrs a week for 4 weeks at 385 USD. These may be fair prices. I don't know. I am curious to know what people think and any advice one can give. Thank you!!!

Check the UBA Spanish for Farangi

http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/content/espa%C3%B1ol-para-extranjeros

If you do a search on this site you will find many many posts about UBA vs VOS vs private tutors vs online classes vs conversation groups. Do a search for Adriana Crom and you will read a lot of recommendations and information about her. She's an excellent and affordable private tutor in Recoleta.

Hi! I have the opportunity to take Spanish lessons in Olivos for 80 pesos per hour, I just need another person to join me! I guess I am upper beginner--I'm comfortable with present perfect, present progressive, and future. I need work with past tenses and vocabulary building (not basics like numbers, family, etc). If you're around the same level, maybe we can take classes together. It's really casual, 2 hours per week on Thursdays or Fridays. Let me know if you're interested! The instructor has a lot of experience and is really qualified!

Hi there!

I don't know about Universitario de Idiomas and about the payment.

About VOS the rates are in US$ but you can pay cash in ARGIE pesos and take advantage of the blue rate ( I did this in March/April 2013I don't know if you stil can do so. Ask them.

I am taking free Spanish classes at the International House in San Isidro. They are actually classes for native Spanish speakers who are becoming teacher of Spanish as a foreign language, therefore the foreign students attending can come for free - they are actually giving the soon-to-be teachers the chance to improve themselves through practical classes.

They provide you with materials for in-class exercises (listening, reading, writing and conversation with teacher/students) but don't expect to learn all the basic grammar there. However, it is a great way to put to test your at-home study with a proper course book and to interact with other students.

Next course starts next week and last until July 31st - it is an intensive course. (After this there should be a regular course twice per week starting in August)

Schedule for the upcoming course:
  • July 8th and 10th - from 12 PM to 2 PM (2 lessons/week)
  • July 14th to 17th - from 12 PM to 2 PM (4 lessons/week)
  • July 21st to 24th - from 12 PM to 2 PM (4 lessons/week)
  • July 28th to 31st - from 12 PM to 2 PM (4 lessons/week)

No need to register, just show up at the IH in San Isidro, Belgrano 106 (1 cuadra from San Isidro rail station on Mitre).

I attended 3 random classes from the past courses because I had personal issue and was not living yet in San Isidro. Yesterday a course finished and we were writing in pasado preterito indefinido and imperfecto, to give you an idea of the very basic level of Spanish you get to practice. They also offer individual classes for ARS 200/hour, but I am sure you can find a teacher at home for less than that.

There are two International Houses downtown in Recoleta and Belgrano, and I think they might be offering the same free group course as well.

I think the course at UBA has too many levels, if you were to take them all, you'd probably saving by hiring the best top notch teacher for individual classes.

For the cheapest classes you would have to go to UBA or CUI. Both of these are cheaper because they are less hours per week and the maximum class sizes are bigger.
Most Spanish institutes in the city have pretty similar prices at around US$200 for a 20-hour group class. I think the cheapest school right now is El Pasaje Spanish School as they have classes for US$160 per week.
I would recommend visiting a few of the options and not just look at price as schools tend to vary a lot in terms of quality and service. Also see if you can pay in pesos and at what exchange rate they use - it should be the official rate at around 8.16.
Does location matter to you? It would also depend how far you are willing to travel to the school.
Here are some institutes that I think are good:
VOS - Recoleta/Downtown
Vamos Spanish Academy - Palermo
Expanish - Downtown

Back