AFIP: All passengers' baggage to be checked, no exceptions

"Checked" should be taken with a grain of salt.... when I went through last week they were so behind on scanning, a huge line had piled up, snaking around the luggage-pick-up conveyor belts.... when I finally got to the front the woman controlling the baggage scanner was busy at the back of the machine chatting with some co-workers. I put my bags on the belt but they were still sticking out and she hadn't moved them forward so I stood their and waited where I could see them. The line was piling up behind and meanwhile the woman in control was yakking away with these others.

After about 5 mins she came back to our side of the machine, pressed the button to move the belt forward, and walked away, not even taking a look at the computer monitor to see the bags that were passing the scanner. So me and the next 10 or so people behind us just picked up our stuff on the other side. We weren't questioned or anything. It's a total farce scanning these things if there's not even anyone watching the monitor, it just holds up the 300 or so people getting off of your plane.

I've had to put my bags through every time I've come in for the last year. I actually assumed everyone had to - do people just walk around and ignore the machine? It never even occurred to me to do that. That being said, I've only had them open my bag 1x b/c I had left a camera lens in the bubble wrap. They asked me about it, I told them it was a gift and that was it - no real problems. And I usually have 2 laptops, multiple phones, blackberry, ipod, etc.

As I said before, I went through on Saturday 22nd, and they told me not to bother with the scanner, so I guess teh instructions may be written down, but hardly enforced. Then again, if you haven't anything to hide, what's the problem?

Back