Age restrictions for medical insurance plans

Caribbean Cool

Registered
Does anyone what the age restrictions are with private medical insurance plans? This is important information for me and I cannot find the answer on the net. I am 74. Thanks

Does anyone what the age restrictions are with private medical insurance plans? This is important information for me and I cannot find the answer on the net. I am 74. Thanks
As the saying goes, 'your mileage may vary'. From what I've heard it depends on which medical plan / hospital you're looking at. At the more exalted ages some may not want to talk to you at all, e.g., I believe Swiss Medical won't cover at all at 74. Others will cover but the costs can be 'bracing'. There is someone who occasionally visits this subject here, and has traipsed from medical company to medical company. He may surrender some information on it or not.

I'm 67 and I signed up with Hospital Italiano a month ago. About $13,000p for the basic plan. There is another plan that I think runs between $16,000p and $17,000. As an aside, Hospital Aleman offered no plan due to my age and Medicus offered a plan at over $30,000p a month.

I'm thinking about cancelling my Medicare Part B in the states which costs just short of $150US a month (taken out of my SS every month). Not such an easy decision.

Regarding Hospital Italiano, if you have any way to prove that you are an italian national, there is a card that you can get which entitles you to 50% off the hospital fees and up to 70% off the medications bought at the hospital. I wish I had known this before because I used to pay full fees in the past (I'm not a member of their Plan de Salud).

Talked to OSDE today: for those over 70, their lowest plan is $50,000 a month.
Talked to the Hospital Aleman, and was told they have NO health plans for senior citizens. When I pointed out that they were required by law to have one, they repeated they had none, and referred me to the Hospital Italiano.

Which I hear is a better hospital altogether, even if not so conveniently located.

Back