Ain't in BS AS, but am in Cordoba

Katzbalger

Registered
Howdy, new to the forum, old to Argentina. Not sure how you folks that have been here longer than me can do it - maybe I am just in a bad location.

My wife watched me go from happy go lucky to miserable old coot over the years, getting to bitter and hateful.

Anywho, I did time as both illegal working and legal not working (moved to a smaller town and everyone got scared when Macri became president, ain't no work here but trying not to kill myself from boredom). I have not been arrested yet, keep debating if I want to after being taken to a dungeon in Bs As for my fingerprints - I think it is the only thing keeping me in line.

Life was better in the military overseas, I have never felt so oppressed in my life - and the food here is crap haha

I can completely understand. I’ve collectively spent just over 1 year living in Argentina and even that has been enough to turn me into a miserable bastard. Because of the stress of getting my partner a UK visa, a few times I have toyed with the idea of staying here forever and settling down. I have desperately tried to tolerate and enjoy life in this country and made up bullshit reasons in my head as to why I should stay, because the process of me getting a DNI would be so much easier and less painful than for my partner to gain residency in Britain. But I can never convince myself to stay, for a million and one reasons. Thank God my time in this country is coming to an end next week. Hopefully the only time I return to Argentina is for holidays. Is there any way your wife could get a green card? (I’m assuming you’re American)

Working on getting a landing pad back in the US, I have jobs lined up for me. Both parents passed since I came here so it is rough. I am thinking 2021 we will be free and clear of this prison.

Yea it can be hard on the other hand I must say I greatly enjoy my Argentinian friends and family, relationships here are for me at least very pleasant the thing that keeps from losing it in this mess. There is allot to piss and moan about for sure and food is crap but I am a chef or sorts and can easily work my way around that. On the other hand, the food where I am kind of limited to the farms and what is in season and I am not pumping myself full of processed junk at all. It makes a big difference in one's health.

Like we say it is what it is.

I can cook like a mother frogger, the thing is - no jalapenos, no pinto beans and many other things. I am from the Arizona Mexico border - used to spicy Mexican food, not living where they think catsup is spicy

I live in Neuquen and I have a guy here that I can buy jalapenos from every weekend. Not sure where he gets them from and it took me almost a year to get the hook up from another expat but they do exist somewhere in the country. I think the family that sells them is Bolivian.

I smuggled seeds in from the states and tried to grow some but it wasn't the right season. This guy has been money every weekend at the local market.

and yes... the food here is not great. I liken it to kids' food. Hamburgers, pizza, pasta, ice cream, all bland and tasteless (except for the ice cream). We travel to BA about every 6 weeks to get a weekend of Indian and other ethnic foods. It's just nice to have something besides the 10 standard options every day.

I often wonder how all the places in town stay open when they all essentially serve the same food.

when i first moved down to argentina i lived in neuquen as well. from feb '17 until aug '18. almost every single weekend i went to BA...one, because my girlfriend was there and two, because i needed the variety BA offers. at the time i was in NQN glovo/pedidos ya was just getting started so there was very little variety. at least these days it seems to have a few more options but in general yes, it's the same generic stuff.

the variety of food in BA is much much better. i found a hookup for flour tortillas (on this board), i can find jarred jalapenos, different fruits and veg, other things from the USA i miss.

when i first moved down to argentina i lived in neuquen as well. from feb '17 until aug '18. almost every single weekend i went to BA...one, because my girlfriend was there and two, because i needed the variety BA offers. at the time i was in NQN glovo/pedidos ya was just getting started so there was very little variety. at least these days it seems to have a few more options but in general yes, it's the same generic stuff.

the variety of food in BA is much much better. i found a hookup for flour tortillas (on this board), i can find jarred jalapenos, different fruits and veg, other things from the USA i miss.

One hobby I've picked up is making vinegar based hotsauces. We can buy tobasco here but it's nice to have some options for flavoring your food. I keep some type of hot sauce in my work backpack at all times for whatever bland sandwiches or viandas we are provided for lunch. Gf (Mexicana) and I also carry the sauces to restaurants. Same thing with salt and pepper since it's just easier for us to provide them ourselves instead of spending 30 minutes trying to get a waiter to bring them to us.

We eat at home most days because it's much quicker, healthier, and overall less frustrating. Besides there's only 1 or 2 places here in town that I think are actually worth the cost of dining out, even if it is way cheaper than the states.

Back