Airline ticket prices

gonzalob54

Registered
Seems like prices are still very expensive to fly to US even in dollar not pesos...are we paying that 35-45 % more for solidarity crap from the government? how to get around that?

I asked about this last week, and was told, when I booked my Copa flight, that anyone on a flight leaving Argentina had to pay those taxes/ additional fees, even if using a debit /credit card from the US, and even if the person isn’t an Argentine citizen…( I am a permanent resident).
Needless to say, I was and I am pretty upset about this.

... on a flight leaving Argentina had to pay those taxes/ additional fees, even if using a debit /credit card from the US ...

I thought that when you use a foreign card, the price in peso is simply converted to the dollar price according to the official rate by the credit card company (which is quite a disadvantage), but no additional taxes are applied. Isn't it the case?

On the Copa website, the prices are quoted in dollars …( I am only speaking from my experience and don’t want to confuse anyone or give the wrong info…)

That’s a great question…I am unsure.
All I know is that the total price for a roundtrip
ticket was pricey…and my trip is a couple months away …so I was surprised.

The price is the price. The taxes are stipulated by the nation for landing or taking off in the country and included in the price of the ticket. I'm not sure why you would think there's a way out of paying them.

The solidarity and foreign transaction taxes are a completely different thing.

As far as I know, the best deal is to buy your plane ticket here in pesos or using an Arg credit card / debit card. That way you then get dollars at the WU rate and it should save you 25% on the total. Paying with a foreign card is not good as it is charged at the official rate in dollars. There is no way around the tax stuff.
Example: if ticket is 250000 pesos it would equal to 1041 usd turista ( 240 pesos ) BUT if you bring usd via WU it would be 780 usd ( 320 pesos ) roughly ( all prices with all taxes included )

Same example as above, 250000 pesos if you pay with your foreign, say American credit card you will be actually paying 1824 usd ( 137 official usd rate )

Back