Airport arrival instructions SAFE CAB & CASH - true story!

tkwolik

Registered
Instructions to get a SAFE CAB & CASH.

1) As you exit the customs check, you will see lots of booths offering taxi service. Do not go outside this area before you arrange for a taxi service. You should go to the the booth marked "REMISES", and pay by credit card. It is a flat fee around $180 Pesos, NOT dollars. So comes out to about $45 USD. The driver will meet you and take you to a nice private car service. It is safe and I have used it several times and is the most cost effectively. Also you do NOT need to tip taxis in Argentina. Only restaurants where the maximum is 10%.

2) DO NOT exchange money at the money exchange (you will get ripped off there). When you exit the booth area, you will see a Citibank ATM. You can withdraw money there.

3) TRUE STORY - our friend came out of the airport and didn't want to wait in line for the REMISES car service - so he went outside to the booth for Radio Taxi. (Now, once you are inside the city, this is the safest cabs to get into.) The guy called on his phone & a car pulled up (what he didn't realize was that it was NOT a radio taxi cab).

The cab driver was very nice to him asking him lots of questions. When he arrived at the toll he asked our friend for $98 pesos for the toll. He gave him $100 and received 2 pesos back. He then got ONE block from the hotel and said that the street was one way in the wrong direction and pointed that his hotel was just up the street a bit. He said the bill was $398 pesos. When he handed him $400 he quickly handed it back showing 2 of the hundreds were now $10's... he changed them so quickly our friend didn't know. So he gave him $200 for the two $20's. And not knowing the custom he also tipped the man a standard 15%.

$398(ride) + $98(toll) + $180(switching bills) + $75 (tip) = $751 cab ride = THIS IS BEING SCAMMED AT IT'S WORST!

The cab ride should be between ($190-$165)

4) Once you are inside BSAS - ONLY use RADIO TAXI or RADIO TAXI PREMIUM. All others could potentially scam or rob you. We also had a friend get into one of the black & yellow taxi's w/ no radio taxi on it. He got picked up at the bus station & his destination was the Four Seasons. The cab driver made a phone call while he took him to the hotel. One block from the hotel the driver stopped. Our friend pulled out his wallet to pay & 2 men entered the car to try to hijack him & his wallet. He fought them off and got out. Luckily he wasn't hurt. They took his cash & threw the wallet out the window and drove off.

The police said you can go downtown and spend all day filling out a report OR you can chalk this up to a learning lesson. She said to NEVER get in a cab without the full eight digit phone number printed on the car. Our advice is to just stick with Radio Taxi's only.

This is good advice. I'd go one step further - I call a Remis service before I arrive at the airport. Here's a number 4898-4662. They tell me the name of the driver who will be meeting me and where they will be. I've travelled so many times through EZE that I can now pick out the scammers (always the same chumps -not sure why the cops can't spot them). If you show up at EZE looking like a Kansas tourist in Manhattan for the first time you'll be a quick mark.

Tip #1: Wear sunglasses. That way you can look around without looking like you are looking around.

The other option is to take Manuel Tienda Leon bus from the airport but only if you know your way around the city. I believe they are still cheaper than the Remis.

Tip #2: ALWAYS lock your doors in a taxi! My Brasilian wife beat that into me when I first got here. Now it's second nature.

Tip #3: Don't take out Pesos on the even hundred (300, 400, 500, 600). Take out Pesos on a 80 (180, 280, 380, 480). That way you'll have change (4 X 20's) and don't need to flash your entire wad of hundreds.

I used Manuel Tienda Leon when I arrived here in March (my first time) You can book the bus at the airport and for a small extra fee, when you get to their terminal (which by the way is exclusively their's) they'll take you on to your hotel in a minibus. I was 100% happy with the service from them.

If friends are not picking me up, I always use Manuel Tienda Leon Service for 35 Pesos!!! (not $40). They were to the left as you exit international, and use mini vans, with a transfer in Ricoleta to one that will take you to your hotel or apartment. Very efficient and friendly and stick to their schedule.
Diana-new member

This was a post on Trip Advisor and it's good info for people coming to town.

tanguera44 said:
If friends are not picking me up, I always use Manuel Tienda Leon Service for 35 Pesos!!! (not $40). They were to the left as you exit international, and use mini vans, with a transfer in Ricoleta to one that will take you to your hotel or apartment. Very efficient and friendly and stick to their schedule.
Diana-new member

35 Pesos from EZE to Centro? Or from Jorge Newberry? according to their website It's 70 ARS for Centro-EZE ...

tanguera44 said:
Yep, much more cost effective than a taxi.

And if you have time and it's daytime, there's also a collectivo that goes to/from the airport, have used that a couple of times with no problems. Cost around 4 pesos if I recall. But I probably wouldn't use it at night just to be safe.

bomber said:
Yep, much more cost effective than a taxi.

And if you have time and it's daytime, there's also a collectivo that goes to/from the airport, have used that a couple of times with no problems. Cost around 4 pesos if I recall. But I probably wouldn't use it at night just to be safe.

Its difficult to use the colectivo with suitcases........

kosta said:
35 Pesos from EZE to Centro? Or from Jorge Newberry? according to their website It's 70 ARS for Centro-EZE ...

My partner left for vacation yesterday and took Manuel Tienda Leon from their terminal next to Retiro to EZE. Cost is now $70 pesos. Last year when we took it in October 2011, it was $55 pesos. No surprise here.

Walking on Av. de Mayo near Café Tortoni on Monday I saw a sign for the #8 bus that goes to EZE now offers "servicio diferencial" which means "limited stops" for $25. I wonder how long it takes to get to EZE and if it's a good deal.

Back