All the flowering trees of the city

jantango

Registered
Spring is my favorite time of the year when trees of the city bloom. I go walking the in Bosque de Palermo on Sunday morning to get close to nature. I'm still overwhelmed by the beauty that awaits all who take the time to look up. My daily walks in my neighborhood provide many flowering trees along the way, particularly Ceibo with its gorgeous red flowers. One tree in particular interested me this spring, so I started asking portenos if they knew the name of the one with "yellow flowers." None had the answer. It didn't take long to find the tree name through a goggle search.

The city's site gives details at https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/ambi...ecorre-el-jardin/sendero-arboles-de-mi-ciudad

4. Tipuana tipu (white tipa): A species native to the yungas, in the province of Tucumán, Salta, Jujuy. Also present in Bolivia, Brazil, Uruguay. With an adult height of more than 20 m, it is a semi-persistent foliage tree, (the fall of the leaves occurs in spring, before flowering), since in Buenos Aires it finds environmental conditions different from its habitat natural in winter Extended cup, characteristic zigzagging branches, with compound leaves.

It is a tree of great beauty for its flowering at the end of spring, with yellow flowers, in short clusters, which remain fleetingly on the plant, then covering the ground with yellow. Dried fruit, with a woody wing. In Buenos Aires, it usually houses in December the foam chicharrite (Cephisus siccifolius), which causes the characteristic "rain of the tipas", a sugar water that falls from its glass, totally harmless.

Widely used in green spaces and urban trees since the beginning of the 20th century. In the city, Pedro Goyena, Melián, Elcano, Guzmán, Av. Del Libertador, Eva Perón, La Pampa can be seen in the streets, constituting green tunnels in summer; in Costanera sur, Av. July 9.

In the garden, its presence stands out above the main entrance on the av. Santa Fe, with a set of centuries-old specimens of great beauty.

It is a species that has been valuable in the trees of the city, introduced by Carlos Thays from his explorations on our native flora. Already in 1892, Carlos Thays expressed that “after observing this tree for 3 years, it is one of those that brings together the highest number of first-order qualities, for its exceptional vigor, its ornamental appearance at the highest level, and for the special utility of each of the parts that compose it… I consider it a duty to advise and facilitate its cultivation …… ”

Thanks to Carlos Thays!

Excellent Excellent
Can you mention the Platano Oriental tree all along Av, Santa Fe , that in November releases a rain of these seeds that makes it look it's snowing a tough time for allergic persons.

Back