Almond Milk

rachlyn

Registered
Almond milk is the new soy milk in the states and that is because its delicious. My mom got me hooked when I was home over the holidays. Anyone know where to get it here? I haven't really started my search but thought someone here might know....

Not only is almond milk good, it is MUCH better for you than soy. It does not contain the excess estrogen (we don't need more estrogen from outside--it contributes to breast cancer-- and men in particular don't need it--soy is for animals!).

You can easily make almond milk. I don't do it here because almonds are so expensive. Partly for this reason, I have considered moving to some nice farm community like Viedma (Argentina) because I have literally stood under an almond tree on a public right of way there and had lunch (almonds!) They have almond orchards there where you can buy cheap. (Or who knows--befriend a neighboring farmer and do even better). It is not hard to make. If you look on the Internet you can find recipes. Some use vanilla and other things. I always just soaked the almonds first for several hours, then put them in a strong blender with distilled water (you don't have to use distilled but I do) and blend thoroughly, then strain out the almonds through a strainer. Some people use cheesecloth but I never did. (You can also make cheese!) There are good things you can then make with the almond meat you strained out. I am sure there is plenty of info on the Internet about this. I never added vanilla or anything but many do. You can easily make almond milk--or almond cream, depending on how thick you make it. We do not need to depend on food processors. And anyway, it's better if you use it raw. I do!

I don't know whether it is the same or not, but there's almond milk powder in Chinatown, Belgrano.

arlean said:
Not only is almond milk good, it is MUCH better for you than soy. It does not contain the excess estrogen (we don't need more estrogen from outside--it contributes to breast cancer-- and men in particular don't need it--soy is for animals!).

You can easily make almond milk. I don't do it here because almonds are so expensive. Partly for this reason, I have considered moving to some nice farm community like Viedma (Argentina) because I have literally stood under an almond tree on a public right of way there and had lunch (almonds!) They have almond orchards there where you can buy cheap. (Or who knows--befriend a neighboring farmer and do even better). It is not hard to make. If you look on the Internet you can find recipes. Some use vanilla and other things. I always just soaked the almonds first for several hours, then put them in a strong blender with distilled water (you don't have to use distilled but I do) and blend thoroughly, then strain out the almonds through a strainer. Some people use cheesecloth but I never did. (You can also make cheese!) There are good things you can then make with the almond meat you strained out. I am sure there is plenty of info on the Internet about this. I never added vanilla or anything but many do. You can easily make almond milk--or almond cream, depending on how thick you make it. We do not need to depend on food processors. And anyway, it's better if you use it raw. I do!

Thanks! That could be fun. Never thought of making it... maybe if I am feeling adventurous or have a serious craving (almost to that level) I'll do it! Unfortunately, the lazy side of me really wishes the Silk brand was here and I could just go pick it up at Disco.... I'll keep dreaming I guess!

Back