Almost Free TV viewing??

fred mertz

Registered
When I lived in Barcelona, Calalunya at the turn of the century, a lot of people had satelite dishes which enabled them to watch hundreds of tv stations all over the world. They bought the dish for the then price of US$ 250.00 (the Pesata equivalent) and had no monthly charge. I don't think that it was legal, but no one seemed to care. Are these dishes available here? No, no not Direct TV.

I had enquired about this (I have a garden, that helps).

It is possible to receive 4 or 5 satelites from here. From what I recall, it's possible to get an Argentinean one, and the others are mainly brazilian (amazonas I think, others can be found searching google).

Nevertheless I have not tried this possibility since I got rid of my TV and I don't intend to buy a new one anytime soon.

So yes it is possible but when I searched, the canals that can be viewed semt not that exciting.

fred mertz said:
When I lived in Barcelona, Calalunya at the turn of the century, a lot of people had satelite dishes which enabled them to watch hundreds of tv stations all over the world. They bought the dish for the then price of US$ 250.00 (the Pesata equivalent) and had no monthly charge. I don't think that it was legal, but no one seemed to care. Are these dishes available here? No, no not Direct TV.

There are lots of FTA (free to air) TV stations in Europe. It's not illegal. There are not nearly as many channels in South America but look for free to air satellite channels argentina or south america.

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Argentina.html

One of the differences is that in Europe, there is the Astra Satellite system (I think thats the name) which carries a wide variety of channels relating to different supliers and countries. Once you have a dish with the right equipment you can pick up the variety of channels available across Europe.

My understanding of it here, is that due to us being in the Southern Hemisphere, and different orbits for the satellites, there just aren't the same number of channels being beamed back to earth in this part of the world, and more importantly, within satellite reception.

If you do find a better way, let me know.

Back