Alternatives to Air Bnb?

Delaluz26

Registered
Hi,
We have to come to Capital from Entre Rios this month and currently have an air bnb reserved (free cancellation) but I realize we are not only paying a ton but also having to use the official dollar. Any one have any recs on alternative websites where we would be able to pay in cash or use rapipago etc to pay for the night? (It is only one night we need to be in BA). We have to go to the US Embassy so we would prefer to not be too far from there.

thanks so much!

You might be able to find something on mercadolibre, although for one night it might be complicated. What I've done in the past is asking the AirBnb owner if they're willing to arrange something outside of the platform, just remember it might not be worth the risk for just one night.

Also trying to figure this one out so would welcome any PMs being forwarded to me or thoughts posted here! It seems either try to negotiate on the side with AirBnB owner and accept the risk that comes with that or just suck it up and pay at the official rate? I've looked on booking.com but offerings seem very low and somehow not really better value even if you can pay cash at the Blue Dollar rate.

I've also read that people who are foreign residents and pay with an international credit card don't pay VAT on accommodation, so I'm trying to figure out if you could pay on Booking.com in cash AND then still not get charged VAT... (AirBnB says we've only been charged VAT on the service fee and that this is based on country of residence so wouldn't be refundable based on law of Argentina FYI.)

Welcome any advice and THANK YOU!

I've also read that people who are foreign residents and pay with an international credit card don't pay VAT on accommodation, so I'm trying to figure out if you could pay on Booking.com in cash AND then still not get charged VAT... (AirBnB says we've only been charged VAT on the service fee and that this is based on country of residence so wouldn't be refundable based on law of Argentina FYI.)
I've come across this in the context of hotel bookings, where, if your passport entry stamp is less than 3 months old, you can avoid the 21% VAT. I could do this with a temporary residency, just showing my passport. The method of payment didn't matter, it could be cash, or CC. Things may have changed since the pandemic started, I remember the VAT as 19% back then.

I'm sure Airbnb has arranged everything to its own convenience :) so as not to have to pay any, or only minimal, VAT in any country.

I've also read that people who are foreign residents and pay with an international credit card don't pay VAT on accommodation

true. I was getting "VAT" discount in 90% of cases, just for being foreigner, no matter how I paid. Any number you see is always overpriced, landlord can give you a discount and still will be satisfied. Anything better then nothing.

PS In fact most of what you will pay = undeclared black liquid cash, so stop thinking with so strict rules

Last edited:
Back