Am I the only one who believes Christina is being given a hard time.

pericles said:
After another tumultuous week when Christina Fernandez Kirchner has been attacked by the world wide press for her decision to sack the Central Bank president Martin Redrado I am starting to feel sympathy for her as it seems that she is attacked for every reason .

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that she is now being attacked because she wants to pay the foreign debt using Central Bank Reserves when the world has been attacking Argentina for many years for not honouring its commitments.

There is incredible hypocrisy when she can not print trillions of dollars as the USA can to be attacked by the same govenments as being irresponsible.

In the USA today the Federal Reserve controls the government and its people and there is no auditing of accountability of this instititution.

Am I the only person here who believes that Christina Fernadez Kirchner is being given a hard time?

You are not the only one, it´s just that most people only repeat what the media says. The same who critize her now are the ones who celebrated When she used Central Bank reserves to pay to the IMF a couple of years ago.
This is a battle between 2 monsters. The corruption and incompetence of this government are unacceptable. Redrado responds to the interest of the world financial powers who wants Cristina to pay the debt with the commercial and fiscal surplus.
I say that we shouldn´t pay any foregin debt until we make a profund investigation. We have already paid our original debt 6 times and we still owe billions. It never ends because we only pay the interests (not the capital).
Most of our external debt began with the 1976 military coup d'état, it was an illegitame and illegal government never elected by the people therefore it´s odiuos debt.
I suggest you to research more about Odious debt and specially argentine foregin debt history prior to making any analysis (and don´t take bribery apart of it)
In international law, odious debt is a legal theory which holds that the national debt incurred by a regime for purposes that do not serve the best interests of the nation, such as wars of aggression, should not be enforceable. Such debts are thus considered by this doctrine to be personal debts of the regime that incurred them and not debts of the state. In some respects, the concept is analogous to the invalidity of contracts signed under coercion.

http://www.odiousdebts.org

When Carlos Menem was in power there was not one negative article in foreign newspapers about him . The reverse happened and he was the foreign medias darling being shown at polo matches and mixing it with Royalty and the jet set. All articles in the 90s were glowing about Argentina even though unemployment reached 20 percent and many middle class people lost their jobs.

Nestor also didn't get negative international (and national) reviews when he was president, on the contrary everyone praised the great Argentine recovery. Only a couple of local journalist (that knew him from Santa Cruz) warned us about the Kirchners.

You can say what you want about Menem, he was indeed corrupt, but the evil 90s were by far the period when we enjoyed freedom of speech and both economic and civil liberties which we didnt had in a long time.

In terms of critics Menem was brutally destroyed by the media all the time, specially in his second term. The media covered all of his corruption cases and his frivolity, but he never tried to wage a war against the media.

Now with the Kirchner political critisism and political Tv shows completly disapeared from open television. Even the smallest critisism made you automatically a "golpista" or "desestabilizador". The bought the bigger media groups for as long as they could, they had thier croonies buy smaller media or create new ones (subsidized by the state), they got journalists fired, and worst of all they revived a level of hatred among argentinians that everybody though was ancient history.

Vikingo said:
You are not the only one, it´s just that most people only repeat what the media says.

Which is exactly why this thread is full of moronic comments with no substance.

fedecc said:
Now with the Kirchner political critisism and political Tv shows completly disapeared from open television. Even the smallest critisism made you automatically a "golpista" or "desestabilizador". The bought the bigger media groups for as long as they could, they had thier croonies buy smaller media or create new ones (subsidized by the state), they got journalists fired, and worst of all they revived a level of hatred among argentinians that everybody though was ancient history.

Can you show us some evidence to your accusations? Or are you just repeating what you have seen and read in the media?

orwellian said:
I don't know if the previous posters are right when it comes to using special powers. What I do know is that U.S presidents do this all the time and they never seem to complain about that. And that is pure hypocrisy.

The US has corruption issues, to be sure, but they are not of the same nature as Argentina's. You say that US presidents "do this" all the time but I can't find a time in the recent past when a US president used the power of Presidential Decrees to force the fed to back a government bond. I'm with your in spirit, but I can't agree with a literal reading of what you've said.

On peoples silence...

Are you are suggesting that US citizens or the US media are silent on the financial troubles of the US? I sure don't see that. Witness the tea party folks, the recent progressive/libertarian alliances, and just about any public discourse. Everyone is talking, and more and more folks are acting.

Can you show us some evidence to your accusations? Or are you just repeating what you have seen and read in the media?
Please...
You must be totally oblivious to the current argentine political affairs if you ask evidence of this.
You can start by reading a bit about Nestor kirchner relation with the Clarin group before march of 2008, which in case you wonder was anything but bad.
You can also try to do a google search about the following topics.

Rudy Ulloa Igor, the former Kirchners driver turned into a millionaire who "owns" several newspappers.

Electroingenieria, the all terrain company with very close connections with Nestor that bought among others a radio station and had Nelson Castro, one of their top journalist fired because he critizies the governmet.

Enrique "pepe" Albistur, former media secretary and his shady business.

Pagina /12, the pro government newspapper that dispite being one of the least selling newspapers, recives the most "pauta oficial (governmnt publicity money)" than the rest.

And a big etc. But that´s a good start.

objectiveous said:
The US has corruption issues, to be sure, but they are not of the same nature as Argentina's. You say that US presidents "do this" all the time but I can't find a time in the recent past when a US president used the power of Presidential Decrees to force the fed to back a government bond. I'm with your in spirit, but I can't agree with a literal reading of what you've said.

The FED is a private bank, so they do not need to do that. If the U.S president wanted to, he could do it. He would just have to sign an executive order.
You can't really compare the U.S and Argentina as in Argentina they actually have a real opposition.
But if you want an example, how about when Obama declared national emergency during the non-existent swine flu epidemic?

objectiveous said:
On peoples silence...

Are you are suggesting that US citizens or the US media are silent on the financial troubles of the US? I sure don't see that. Witness the tea party folks, the recent progressive/libertarian alliances, and just about any public discourse. Everyone is talking, and more and more folks are acting.

No I wasn't suggesting that.

fedecc said:
Please...
You must be totally oblivious to the current argentine political affairs if you ask evidence of this.
You can start by reading a bit about Nestor kirchner relation with the Clarin group before march of 2008, which in case you wonder was anything but bad.
You can also try to do a google search about the following topics.

Rudy Ulloa Igor, the former Kirchners driver turned into a millionaire who "owns" several newspappers.

Electroingenieria, the all terrain company with very close connections with Nestor that bought among others a radio station and had Nelson Castro, one of their top journalist fired because he critizies the governmet.

Enrique "pepe" Albistur, former media secretary and his shady business.

Pagina /12, the pro government newspapper that dispite being one of the least selling newspapers, recives the most "pauta oficial (governmnt publicity money)" than the rest.

And a big etc. But that´s a good start.

No, I have only been here 3 months. How about you provide us with links than just ask us to google it? I did google some of your keywords but I did not come up with much. You need to back up your statements with sources.

I gave you some tips, but I'm not going to do your homework. If your are really interested you can easily find information yourself.

orwellian said:
The FED is a private bank, so they do not need to do that. If the U.S president wanted to, he could do it. He would just have to sign an executive order.
You can't really compare the U.S and Argentina as in Argentina they actually have a real opposition.
But if you want an example, how about when Obama declared national emergency during the non-existent swine flu epidemic?

We were speaking specifically about banking and Executive Decree. I wasn't saying that US didn't have such a structure nor was I suggesting that US presidents always used Executive Decree appropriately.

I *was* challenging your assertion that "...U.S presidents do this all the time and they never seem to complain about that. And that is pure hypocrisy." I just can't find evidence for this.

objectiveous said:
We were speaking specifically about banking and Executive Decree. I wasn't saying that US didn't have such a structure nor was I suggesting that US presidents always used Executive Decree appropriately.

I *was* challenging your assertion that "...U.S presidents do this all the time and they never seem to complain about that. And that is pure hypocrisy." I just can't find evidence for this.

Well I meant they do it all the time for other reasons. Not for banking reasons. They would never do it for banking reasons as all U.S presidents are puppets who work for the same people who own the FED.

And the only foreigned abducted during the DIRTY CIVIL WAR here were a couple of French "liberation movement" nuns that were "mingled" in terrorist activities, it seems.

You are so wrong, so wrong. It is sad. "Terrorist activities", really...

Back