Amazon: Shipping To Argentina

NYCExpat

Registered
OK, I've head about all the door-to-door shipping from the US and I am struggling to understand what can be shipped from Amazon. All details and experiences are welcome. Me: I fill my amazon cart and nothing ships to ARG. Help!

Why on earth would you want to have something shipped to here? Do you homework better!

Find someone who is coming to BsAs and have them bring it to you. That's the only guaranteed way to get anything from out of the country.

NYCExpat:
You haven't been here too long,have you? It has been a nightmare to ship anything to Argentina for years..
What does Amazon tell you? Frankly,I wouldn't waste my time.The system could maybe improve this year.But I wouldn't bet on it.Follow Aztangogirl's advice.

I thought I read that yes, Amazon is now shipping free to Argentina if you join their elite status...there is a yearly fee. Just saying, i read that somewhere...not sure it works or true.

I walked by a UPS truck with Amazon boxes inside. So something is definitely coming in.
Also, a friend bought auto parts (!) and they arrived here on time. Yes, he had filed all the appropriate declarations in advance.

Hi. I am in the process of finding my "door to door" package as we speak. Unlike your topic, I had my parents put everything in a box and ship from a standard USPS local store to my address in Pilar. (There isn't a tracking number on standard package shipments...as in they don't even offer it).

Short version: Yes, I got the box, yes they followed the rules. No they didn't steal my box! If you learn the bureaucracy, it works.

I found that there are two different paths here. Public mail and Private couriers. I found this article to be very helpful and very very true. http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1932079-guia-para-entender-como-es-el-puerta-a-puerta

Here is the number for correo central. 01148919191 They answered me after about 10 minutes waiting. They were very kind and patient.

For both options, you'll have to deal with the AFIP at some point. You'll have to have a "clave fiscal" (you need a CUIT/CUIL/CDI and you need to go to AFIP to get this in person). IF you can't obtain this clave fiscal, you need to have the box come in the name of someone who can do all this for you. Tell them you want this to for "una encomienda puerta a puerta" so that they do your digital fingerprints and give you "level 3" access.

You'll have to get familiar with these lovely steps:
http://www.afip.gov.ar/guia/documentos/PAPEnviosInternacionales.pdf

Private mail:
I assume Amazon will use a private courier, like Fedex with partners with other local couriers further into the country or DHL which goes almost anywhere. My bet is that you won't have a choice of the courier Amazon uses but that it will likely be private. You have up to 5 shipments a year, which can be up to 50kilos and 1,000 dollars (each one).

The DHL courier (which I have used outbound for docs and boxes) will take care of MOST of the paperwork. Which is a blessing. The only thing you'll have to do is for a box you receive here, is confirm that you received the box. On the AFIP page once you sign in, you go to "declaración de envíos postales internacionales" and will have to "confirm" the receipt of the box. There is this (rather 2005 looking) system that the AFIP uses to fill out custom forms -- Sistema Informatica Malvina. These forms you aren't supposed to have to do. BUT, once you receive the box, you are supposed to go into that same system and confirm you received it. The difference here is that public mail makes you fill out the forms, then confirm it. Private takes care of this for you (they are supposed to anyway).

Here is number for the Sistema Informatica Malvina (the system the AFIP uses to manage shipments and taxes): 01143473974

Public mail:
I WISH my parents had the extra bills to think about the private courier, but alas, they are cheap. Here is my current experience. You can receive as MANY shipments a year as you want.

Watch this video for correo argentina It has 3 options (look at the headers/tabs) and each are helpful. http://www.correoargentino.com.ar/puerta-a-puerta/

You can get as many boxes as you want. Unlimited. (There are more rules I can't recall about limits to have many # of the same items you can have, like you can't have 20 sunglasses, etc. Because you'll be like a reseller in disguise.)

If your box is UNDER 2 kilos AND UNDER $200 USD it will come to your house, eventually.

If your box is OVER 2 kilos OR OVER $200 USD it will stay in the aduana no matter what. You'll have to go get it.

It's important to know that you have $25 you are allowed ONCE a year (so kind right). Even though you are allowed to receive up to $200 in each box, you will pay more. For example, if your box is worth (value or objects, not taxes) $50 and you haven't used up your $25 yearly allowance, you'll do this math $50-$25 = $25 is what you will be taxed on. You'll be taxed on the items differently, but it can't be more than the 50% value you would be slammed with at the airport. So at the most, it would be 50% of the $25 you surpassed. You'd pay an estimated $37.5 USD (value in USD transferred to pesos).

You'll receive a notice from the mailman that you have a telegram. You go get the telegram. It gives you instructions.

If your box is under the limit, you'll be told to go to the AFIP, and complete the forms. You'll be given a long (18 character I think) alphanumeric string which is a tracking number for your box. In addition to whatever value they determine you need to be taxed on, you'll pay $100 pesos more for "administrative and storage fees" (we really know its 100 pesos for shipping it again to your house). That AFIP system will generate a voucher for you with a desc of items, an amount to pay and a barcode. You have 1 day (that same day!) to take the VEP (volante electronico de pago) to the Pago mis Cuentas or Banelco and pay this amount. After that, you regenerate the same page with a new barcode.

If your box is over the limit of weight/amount you get a request to go to the aduana directly to pick it up and what fees you'll have to pay. You'll be assigned a small alphanumeric string to identify your box. You'll be told to go to the AFIP as well. and complete the forms (and pay the money). You have 30 days to get it from the date you receive the telegram!

So, In my local mail experience I had a 3.5 kilo box sent, under $25 un value. I declared it was $15 total on my forms. I didn't pay anything and did not have the option to send it to my local post office or house, but I have to go pick it up in person at retiro. Notice, I also didn't get a "VEP" form generated. The system just marked my box as "paid and liberated"...but after investigating I just need to take my form down to the aduana. And that's it.

Also update. A few days after my post I went to la aduana to pick up my box. They are still as shady as ever trying to profile you and assume you won't debate them on your rights and they tried to charge me a $175 USD value for a box that literally was worth about $20 and I declared it as $15. I respectfully argued with an administrator and was able to walk away with my box without paying a dime more than their $100 "admin" fee. However, it's just a long pain in the a$$ to go through their system. I suggest private courriers.

I suggest not using the mail because the system is broken. Even if you jump through all the hoops be prepared to never see your package or line up for hours and deal with absolute morons. I have had 3 packages over the past years that disappeared - no notice of arrival, nothing. Then I had a private courier try and rape me by charging me $50 USD tax to receive a replacement credit card. I told him that the card has no declarable value and to kindly stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Cancelled it and got a new one sent in normal mail that arrived.

I suggest not using the mail because the system is broken. Even if you jump through all the hoops be prepared to never see your package or line up for hours and deal with absolute morons. I have had 3 packages over the past years that disappeared - no notice of arrival, nothing. Then I had a private courier try and rape me by charging me $50 USD tax to receive a replacement credit card. I told him that the card has no declarable value and to kindly stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Cancelled it and got a new one sent in normal mail that arrived.

I agree...the system is a farce. If they can't tell the difference between an expat receiving a package from home containing some of life's little missed essentials from a local dude importing electronic goods from China whose sole intention is to make money then the country will never be taken seriously. It's a joke considering what's been going on and most likely is still going on in this country.

I thought the days when you had to prove your innocence of being a tax avoidance criminal were over when you received a parcel from abroad.....seems not.

Back