American/bilingual School In Buenos Aires

Myca13

Registered
Hi Everybody! I am new in the Forum (thanks for the space) and I do need some help. We have been transfered to Buenos Aires, due to job opportunities and now we have the most important goal: find the appropriate school for our children (5 and 7 years old). We contacted until now 3 schools (Northlands, St Andrews and Baica).
Can somebody give us any feedback about those schools? I do appreciate any help ... have a great life everyone!

If you want the American system, you also have Lincoln...they have a top-reputation.

St Andres has a great reputation, but it's the British curriculum...well...for me, way better than the American...I know, I'm not going to make friends here...

There is also St George and St Hilda. Sorry, never heard about Baica.

My only wish when we arrived here, would have been to found a top school closer to downtown...if only...

St Andrew is very good, it has reputation, as well as St. George (I beleave this one is pupilo, students live there)
Lincoln is for the sons of the embassadors, and important people, it has a northern hemisphere calendar I think.

St Andrew is very good, it has reputation, as well as St. George (I beleave this one is pupilo, students live there)
Lincoln is for the sons of the embassadors, and important people, it has a northern hemisphere calendar I think.

TRANSLATION:
Both St. Andrew's (a.k.a. "San Andreas") and St. George's (a.k.a. "San Jorge's") are good schools.

St. George's also has a boarding department, but it is predominantly a "day school".

The Lincoln School is for the children* of Ambassadors, diplomats, and other wealthy people (both internationals and a few locals).

*The Lincoln School is co-ed. Don't be confused by the OP's direct translation.
[END OF TRANSLATION]

St. Andrew's and St. George's are straight up British prep schools. They are not "American", though some of the professors might be Americans. At least half the day is in English, if not the entire day, so I don't even know if you can call them "bilingual". However, nearly all of the students are Argentine kids, so they will all be fluent in Spanish.

The Lincoln School is for English speaking kids who want to take classes in English. I think that the number of Argentines attending the school is very low.

There's something called "The Washington School" in Belgrano. I don't know anything about it other than the name leads me to believe that it is a bilingual school.

Hi Everybody! I am new in the Forum (thanks for the space) and I do need some help. We have been transfered to Buenos Aires, due to job opportunities and now we have the most important goal: find the appropriate school for our children (5 and 7 years old). We contacted until now 3 schools (Northlands, St Andrews and Baica).
Can somebody give us any feedback about those schools? I do appreciate any help ... have a great life everyone!
What area of the city do you live in? how long do you expect to be in BA?

TRANSLATION:
Both St. Andrew's (a.k.a. "San Andreas") and St. George's (a.k.a. "San Jorge's") are good schools.

St. George's also has a boarding department, but it is predominantly a "day school".

The Lincoln School is for the children* of Ambassadors, diplomats, and other wealthy people (both internationals and a few locals).

*The Lincoln School is co-ed. Don't be confused by the OP's direct translation.
[END OF TRANSLATION]

St. Andrew's and St. George's are straight up British prep schools. They are not "American", though some of the professors might be Americans. At least half the day is in English, if not the entire day, so I don't even know if you can call them "bilingual". However, nearly all of the students are Argentine kids, so they will all be fluent in Spanish.

The Lincoln School is for English speaking kids who want to take classes in English. I think that the number of Argentines attending the school is very low.

There's something called "The Washington School" in Belgrano. I don't know anything about it other than the name leads me to believe that it is a bilingual school.

St. Andrew's is bilingual. Usually, with these types of schools, the mornings are taught in English and the afternoons in Spanish. Washington School is also bilingual, but not as strong as Lincoln or St. Andrew's. Other good bilingual schools with similar curriculums/values are St. Gregory's College (Vicente Lopez), and St. Luke's (Olivos, only about ten blocks away from St. Andrew's, and Northlands also is only a few blocks away).

If you're looking for a school with the American calendar (Summer break in June-August) then Lincoln is your school (it's in La Lucila plus it has a beautiful campus). Only downside in my opinion is that it's VERY American, and kids don't get exposed to much of Argentine culture as a local would.

Also don't know where you'll be located, but St. Hilda's, although a good school, is in Hurlingham, and St. George's is in Quilmes.

What area of the city do you live in? how long do you expect to be in BA?
We are looking for houses in Acassusso, San Isidro are. We are going for a long term assignment.
thanks!

Hi there. We are new to the area and our kids go to BAICA. Lincoln and BAICA I believe are the only 2 English schools and the only 2 that follow a more American calendar. They only have an hour of Spanish a day, to meet government requirements. Most of the kids at BAICA are Argentine or at least native-spanish speaking and so Spanish is the language mostly spoken in the lunchroom, on the playground, etc. If learning Spanish is important then I think it will be slower at a one of these schools. I am sure it would be faster at a bilingual school. But some friends also cautioned that the English part of the day (usually all afternoon) can be boring for native English speakers, since it is language class at a very basic level. BAICA is small, maybe around 200 students. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks very much for all responses. You are really great guys! ;)

My kids go to Northlands. It has a very good reputation. it's 95% Argentine They are very supportive to non native Spanish speakers - lots of one to one to begin with. Ours knew hardly any Spanish, and friends tell me when they speak Spanish you wouldn't know they weren't Argentine! Happy to answer any queries you may have

Back