American Food

GoodQuestion

Registered
Yesterday, I went for the 2nd time to a restaurant called Gringa's (take off on Gringo's). The menu is primarily dishes from the US and especially hard-to-get items like pancakes, french toast, bagels, etc. OMG, the food is incredible there. I honestly believe that I had the best hamburger of my life there.

Does anyone else know of great places to go when you just want a taste of home (that is if home is the US)? I know that Sugar (excellent fallafal and fries) and Casa Bar (great spicy wings) are two other places. Where else?

Revision: Just realized that people might want to know where these places are:
Gringa: Costa Rica 6094
Sugar: Costa Rica 4619
Casa Bar: Rodriguez Pena 1150

Please give the address! My husband is desperate for a good burger!!

razal said:
Gringa is on the corner of Dorrego y Costa Rica in Palermo Hollywood - you can check out my write up about it if you like: http://pickupthefork.com/2010/10/06/brunch-with-the-gringa/

Other good American style restaurants - Kansas, Trixie and Sugar. AND then of course US chains like Hard Rock Cafe, Hooters and TGI Fridays.

Lol, your review in Gringa is not very exciting ;) And to the OP, none of the things you mention are hard to find nowadays in the city...

No Benedict on the eggs Benedict? That's a shame. I <3 eggs Benedict and was very sad when Aramant (?) closed. They made a tasty EB.

But if Gringa's has great burgers, I'm there!

Of all those listed so far, my favorite is Kansas. If you miss "American" you might as well go all out & get the whole shebang. It feels like you've stepped off the plane and landed in Miami.

nledec, I want to note that the burger was crazy good, but not a typical US burger. The bun was unlike any I've ever had, make sure to order it with the cheese (I forget what type of cheese it was).

Razal, I hope you do return and give them another try. I can attest to the burger, broschetta, mac and cheese, lemonade, cupcakes, and apple cake. I agree with you on the bacon, forget about what my impression of the syrup was, but loved the French Toast and pancakes (no I didn't order all of these myself, I tasted the food on everyone elses plates).

Napoleon said:
When I step off the plane in Miami, I sometimes think "I miss 'America'!"

And that's after a short 2.5 hour flight from Dallas.

Well, yes. That's exactly why I said it felt like Miami. Kansas is like 1/2 North American 1/2 Latin American. ;)

GoodQuestion said:
Razal, I hope you do return and give them another try. I can attest to the burger, broschetta, mac and cheese, lemonade, cupcakes, and apple cake. I agree with you on the bacon, forget about what my impression of the syrup was, but loved the French Toast and pancakes (no I didn't order all of these myself, I tasted the food on everyone elses plates).

I have tried the burger at Gringa and thought it was a bit too soft / meatloaf-like for my taste. I'm always open to give it another try tho! In my opinion, the burgers at Sugar and Kansas are better - but Gringa does have a good/fairly priced brunch menu.

Back