American Girlfriend And Argentinian Boyfriend

freiheit.1991

Registered
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Hello I am from Argentina (Tucuman) my girlfriend lives in California United states, and we want to get married so we can be together. Although I am the one who wants to move to her country, I have heard that she could get married here in Argentina with a tourist visa and later when she returns to US she can claim her foreign husband, but I am not sure about this and I would like someone to clarify my doubt how the process works and what does she need to do in her country before coming here.[/background]

By the way she is 24 years old and I am 22 years old, I was reading something about the Visa K1 seems simple but painful and long.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Thank you so much I hope to hear from you soon. :)[/background]

I believe she can still get married here with a tourist visa. I did in 2008. However, once that happens YOU will not be able to go to the US until your spouse visa is completed. You can go now if you have strong ties to Argentina and US Immigration deems you a low risk for illegal immigration. You'll need a good job, family, house, etc here so they know you are coming back to Argentina once your tourist visa expires.

You might want to consider postponing your wedding and getting a couple of trips to the US under your belt. Meet her family, spend some time there, that kind of thing. Then apply for the spouse visa. That takes about 14 months and during that process you will not be permitted to re-enter the US.

I do not recommend you go to the US on a tourist visa and suddenly get married there. There are a lot of problems with that process. Make sure you get a good US Immigration Lawyer to help you through. It's expensive. The total for getting my wife to the US and getting her permanent residence was about $6000US.

Good luck!

GS

You can get married here, but I'm not sure that's the fastest way to get papers to move to the US. I believe you can also file for a fiance visa. The advice of an immigration lawyer will probably make things go a lot smoother.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

As for what she needs to do before coming down (to get married), nothing really. :) Just buy the dress and any other wedding garb in the US since it's cheaper. All she needs is her passport.

I got married on a tourist visa in 1981, and it was relatively simple for my Argentine wife to get a green card at the US Embassy. Things may be a bit more complex now, though.

I got married on a tourist visa in 1981, and it was relatively simple for my Argentine wife to get a green card at the US Embassy. Things may be a bit more complex now, though.

Those wonderful days of the Reagan Administration !! You are correct , not so easy now. As advised above get a good immigration lawyer. Remember , if you marry in the US , or apply for a green card after marrying here , YOU cannot leave the US until the process of getting your green card is complete. SO plan accordingly.

Those wonderful days of the Reagan Administration !! You are correct , not so easy now. As advised above get a good immigration lawyer. Remember , if you marry in the US , or apply for a green card after marrying here , YOU cannot leave the US until the process of getting your green card is complete. SO plan accordingly.

Oh, yea. I forgot that part. Thanks!

Do you have a visa to enter the states as a tourist? Do you think you could get one (ie, do you have a stable job, home, income in Argentina?). If not, your best bet will be to get married in Argentina and then begin the process to apply to live in the US. This will take about a year though...

If you have a Visa to enter as a tourist, you can do the following: get married in Argentina, then go to the U.S., and change your tourist visa to permanent residency visa. Alternatively, you can get a K1 fiance visa (which takes about three months, not 14). You have to do quite a bit, and I think the process to get permanent residency is about 1500 USD. Or, you could get married in Argentina, and then request the visa from Argentina. It's really not that hard to get if you are married, you just have to prove that you didn't marry out of convenience (so you could get a green card). In all cases, it costs at least 1500 without a lawyer.

Back