An Ex-Expat's Observations from the US

soulskier

Registered
Hi All,

As you may know, my wife and I relocated back to the US after 5 plus years living in Argentina. We have been now back in the empire for 4 months.

It has been a real trip to be back in California after so many years away. I thought I would share some general observations. Some will likely be obvious.

-Most of my friends have ADD. Many of them pull out their little gadgets in the middle of a conversation and can't stay in the present.

-The driving is much more predictable and civilized.

-There are alot of obese people in the US.

-Going to a bank isn't a long process anymore, same with paying bills.

-Americans like to complain how hard life is. I usually bite my tongue at this one.

-Everything is clean, well manicured and to some extent, without soul and character.

With that said, it is good to be home.

soulskier said:
-Everything is clean, well manicured and to some extent, without soul and character.

Does the lack of character include the absence of broken sidewalks "dotted" with doggie doo and bars on almost all windows (at least at ground level) in almost every house and apartment?:p

steveinbsas said:
Does the lack of character include the absence of broken sidewalks "dotted" with doggie doo and bars on almost all windows (at least at ground level) in almost every house and apartment?:p

Yes it does :)

Hey soulskier,

I was just peeking at baexpats to see what I've missed in the last week of packing and moving. We've been in BA since 2009 (part-time for 8 years before that) and just moved back to California yesterday. Already, I've got some observations too...

1. When I was at the San Francisco airport yesterday, I was crossing the street and two police cars screeched to a halt next to me. I started looking around to see what was wrong and then realized they had stopped so I could cross the street! I'm still shocked.

2. I've already had a burrito and sushi and they were crazy good. Chinese food is the plan for tonight.

3. I ran into Trader Joe's this morning to grab a few things. I got everything and was out the door in under five minutes, after paying with a 100 dollar bill and not being asked for something smaller.

4. And we do miss Argentina already. See, I'm still checking out baexpats! It's going to be a real adjustment to stop driving like a portena...it takes much longer to get around. There are some great things about Argentina and Buenos Aires. But, it is good to be home.

Welcome back. It's good to hear from another ex-expat.

Cheers!

-Most of my friends have ADD. Many of them pull out their little gadgets in the middle of a conversation and can't stay in the present.

God I hate the rudeness, the ignorance, the egoism and the plain insecurity of such behavior..get Obama to write a code of conduct on using gadgets in the presense of others and I might reconsider going back to the US...although I fear Argentina is going the same way having watched an Argentinean family dining last night where the mom, dad and grandkids seemed the only ones present and eating whilst the Y generation were all diet coke and texting..sad anywhere really.

A few more

-Being able to pay with a debit card and actually get cash back

-Lots of TV commercials about food and drugs

-Spicy food

soulskier said:

One time I went out to lunch with my mom on a visit back to the US. She spent the entire time checking her voicemail and returning calls. I ate the Indian food I had missed so much in silence.

soulskier said:
A few more

-Being able to pay with a debit card and actually get cash back

-Lots of TV commercials about food and drugs

-Spicy food
Tell us about your health insurance costs. Among others, it's the major reason why I cross "returning" off my list. That, and being buffeted by smiling, ingratiating, superficial talking heads 24/7.:)

Lee said:
Home is where you hang your hat.

Clearly you were just marking time until you moved back to the USA while you were in Argentina.

Enjoy the organized predictable life you have gone back to.

Home is difficult to define.

A couple, that I'm really good friends with, moved to Seoul from Texas for 2 years last ~July. They've taken their two kids and are totally exposing them to as much as possible. The couple (not the kids) just left the cold snowy winter weather of Seoul for a week in Maui. They hit the beach, they hit ziplines, they hit whatever. They relaxed, probably drank too much, and then probably also had some "quiet time".

Upon returning, as the plane was landing in Seoul (oh, they are rather tall white people), the wife said to her husband- "It's good to be home."

They aren't Korean, are definitely returning to the States in 18 more months, and their "energies" are in the US as well, most notably Texas & California. (Talking about "energy" is very California, I understand.) But they still feel like Korea is "home" at the moment.

There's no need to judge where people find themselves in life. (Unless it's San Telmo or certain parts of Palermo, because they're delusional.) I could live here the rest of my life, or something could happen that could change all that in the blink of an eye. If you can afford it, life is easier in the States than here. Probably easier than almost anywhere in the world. Some people run out of will/fight and don't want every day to be a challenge.

Just a little tired, and don't blame people for wanting conveniences & respect in their lives.

Back