An FYI for Seafood Lovers in Argentina:

iheartargentina

Registered
From our Latest Issue:

Almost 5000 kilometers of coastline, yet so little fish in our diet. Is it for lack of fish, or for lack of habit? Is there an explanation for this Argentinean paradox?

Why is so little fish eaten here? If we ask the locals, first there is a long silence; a puzzled look; and after a moment of reflection, we generally find the same response...

http://www.livinginargentina.com/something_fishy_in_argentina-1021.html

Fish costs 3 to 5 times as much as beef in Buenos Aires. AND it has to be brought up from Mar del Plata or further south.

That's why there isn't more fish in the diet... as well as the people in Buenos Aires don't like to eat food that is good for them. I know several Argentines that simply don't eat vegetables. They like pizza, milanesa, & asado.

There's a reason that Argentina is #1 in the world in percentage of the population with heart disease. And that's even after a lot of walking and wine. But really, that's their choice.

As someone moving to Buenos Aires in a bit, I have to say it's a bummer to hear about the expense of fish. Is there anywhere to get decent fresh fish that I can cook myself? I'm not a big, picky eater, and I'm very excited about the Asado culture, but I also like variety. I've heard of a few markets - One in Barrio Chino, Ostramar is on Santa Fe and J. Alvarez, and one on Corrientes between Estado de Israel and Lambare. Are those accurate? Are there any others?

Some grocery stores have fresh fish sitting on ice. There's also one in Palermo on Santa Fe at the corner of Salguero or Julian Alvarez.

There are some other ones here and there, you just have to keep your head up. The price is still going to be 3 times (or more) that of beef.

Government suppressed prices of beef insures that there won't be a lot of people drawing social security into their 80s and beyond. Fish on the other hand...

Being originally from New York City where fish markets abound, I would say that in general the fish markets here have good quality fish, however the selection is limited. The most pletiful fish sold in Buenos Aires is Merluza (Hake) and shellfish is Squid (Calamares). Barrio Chino en Belgrano does have a wider selection however most larger supermarkets fish departments are well stocked. You may just become bored with the 5 or 6 varieties that are available on a daily basis. There is a really good fish market in Villa Urquiza, right in front of the entrance to the Los Incas subway station on Ave. Triunvirato. They have both fresh and prepared fish, as well as AWESOME empanadas de Merluza and empanadas de Atún.

Merluza is about 15 to 20 pesos per kilo (2.2 pounds) and Calamares about 12 to 15 pesos per kilo. If you buy fresh Calamares be sure they clean them for you as it's major surgery LOL.

Davidglen77 said:
Merluza is about 15 to 20 pesos per kilo (2.2 pounds) and Calamares about 12 to 15 pesos per kilo. If you buy fresh Calamares be sure they clean them for you as it's major surgery LOL.

Wow, that's still pretty cheap compared to american prices. Jesus, I can only imagine what beef costs!

Actually I was in the JUMBO supermarket today and Calamares were on sale for $4.49 pesos per kilo. Then I went to the CARREFOUR supermarket and there were some great specials on meat. $12.00 pesos per kilo on lomo (tenderloin) and $8.00 per kilo on vacío (flank steak). I thoroughly enjoyed my shopping trip today!

Back