An introduction

tangobob

Registered
Having been on this site now for over three years now, I think perhaps it was time I properly introduced myself.
The way I poke fun has not always been readily accepted and one or two have taken exception to me. Believe me when I say that there is never anything personal in this, unless someone gets insulting or personal with me. I readily accept that I often leave myself open to the kind of ribbing I give out, and enjoy the cut and thrust of friendly exchanges of micky taking.
My political views are tempered by an upbringing in an area that some would consider less than salubrious. So this colours my view of Buenos Aires and as such I find it difficult to accept that it is in anyway unsafe here, although I can accept that others may hold a different view, I continue to walk around, late at night on dark streets, knowing that I have faced much worse at home.
I have come to Buenos Aires because I find I not only love the city of tango but also because of the friendly welcome I have had from its people. To do this I have had to acquire some debt, debt that should be clear by the time I am free to stay here more permanently, but debt none the less.
I have been extremely lucky in that the strength of the pound allied to a strength in my own finances, at the time, allowed a working class lad to purchase a holiday home here.
All this means that I have more affinity to those who live in the villas than I do to the privileged that inhabit Porto Madero or Recoletta. So, although I like to remain jokey there is sometimes a serious note to my ranting. I hate to see people who are underprivileged put down just because of where they come from.
As for those who have accused me of being a spy, well, I hesitate to even justify this with an answer. In fact, no, I won’t, I will just continue to poke fun at such a ludicrous suggestion, and have a laugh with the Russians and the CIA who have continued to bug my apartment.
I have found that some Portenos are puzzled by my wit, Canadians and Brits, of course, join in and poke fun at me, the N. Americans are the ones who take umbrage. I think this is because they think they speak English, when in fact they speak N.American, and this causes all sorts of confusion. Please, I mean to upset no one, if I upset you and you do not understand, PM me and I will either explain or alter my post. But to those who get personal, insulting, or downright threatening, I just find it funny, and if the moderators of this site choose to block you, that is because it is, after all their site, not because I have asked them to. Personally I would just wind you up more, just for the fun of it.
Finally, as well as the odd joke, I like to be helpful and walking as much as we do (taxis generally are too expensive for me) we see a lot of things a normal tourist would not. We are after all still tourists even if we do have a stake in the city. So if on my travels I see something that may help in a post I will do my best to relay that information to you.
This site is a mine of information and forever helpful, but hey, lets try to keep it entertaining. If we stop enjoying ourselves, we stop living and remember, nothing infuriates someone with a temper more than a smile.:D

Back