And The Winner Is..............

fred mertz

Registered
Ladies and gentlemen, it's a tie.
This morning, I saw that Carrefour on Vincent Lopez was charging $3.90 a kilo for tomatoes. Few if any looked edible. I checked to see the price of tomatoes is in Singapore, which is now considered the most expensive city in which to live. The price was the same ! I bet the tomatoes in Singapore are of a better quality and the scales in Singapore are of better calibration.

Supermarket produce is terrible in Argentina. I always buy at the local verduleria (or at the country side when I have the time). Better quality and better prices.

This. Yes.

Here in Mar del Plata and veggies are much cheaper than in Capital. And if you drive to Sierra de los Padres, it is even cheaper.
We eat exclusively vegetables, fruit and cereals at home and we spend on average 25 euros per week for the two of us (this includes buying bread in regular panaderias).
We spend the same amount to go out one night and have a beer and food (hamburger with fries).

Currently they are selling 3 kg of eggplants for 1 euro, 2 kg of figs for 50 pesos, 3 green salads for 15 pesos, 2kg of choclo for 18 to 20 pesos, 1 kg of gotita de miel (plum) for 35 pesos, palta is 5 pesos each etc. All fresh produces sold directly by the farmers, delicious!

And there is even more variety than in Buenos Aires (at least compared to San Isidro, maybe in the posh Palermo-Recoleta there are fancier varieties).

Serafina, you quit Buenos Aires????

We've been here for 1.5 months but will be back as soon as it gets cold. Serafina enjoys the sun and the brisk sea air on her whiskers! Here she is looking at seagulls.

29zq6q.jpg

Something needs to be done about the terrible state of the supermarkets here, dunno if its lack of competition, if they're colluding together to set crazy prices or its something else.

The 2 local carrefours both are lacking in range, haven't seen a quilmes stout or bock for quite a while in either. Tonnes of products missing from the shelves, its bizarre.

Really, you don't need to go into supermarkets. You can get everything you want outside a supermarket. Most supermarket employees have terrible attitudes, I have no desire to submit myself to them.
Nancy

Im not sure if that was a typo or what, "$3.90 per kilo". I was in Carrefour on Ugarte in Olivos today and they were 34 pesos p/kg.

Back