Another PSA when it comes to purse snatching

citygirl

Registered
I was walking down the street today at 3:00 in the afternoon on Maure between Migueletes and Libertador. I had my purse in my hand and was reaching into it and someone on a bike rode up from behind (I never saw him coming), pushed me (i fell) and tried to snatch my purse out of my hand. Luckily, my purse had a strap and I had it across my body (it was under my jacket so he wouldn't have known) and he couldn't get it.

But just an FYI, if you are walking on the street and carrying a purse, it is always a great idea to have the strap across your body.

By the time I realized what had happened, he was half a block away. Luckily, he didn't get anything and the only injury I have is a sore back from where he hit me and a wrenched arm from him trying to grab it out of my hand.

Argh, thats horrible. So sorry that happened to you, hope you're ok.

Thats right round the corner from us... always feel like its safe round here, but I guess appearances can be deceptive.

JP - we're neighbors then, I'm on Libertador y Maure.

One of the people that saw it told me that the other day, 2 guys on a moto did the same thing to a woman on Maure, one pushed her and the other grabbed her bag and they sped off.

Thank god I had the strap across my body (take the girl out of NY but not the NY out of the girl). I'm sure he just thought it would be an easy robbery attempt and like I said - it happened in an instant. Instinctively b/c I was falling, I put my hands out which is when he grabbed at my purse and phone in my hand. But again, luckily I had the strap across and he didn't get it. By the time I looked up and started yelling, he was already to Libertador and looking back at me. A little old lady started screaming at him but there was nothing anyone could do to stop him.

So sorry that happened to you! Glad you are safe!!

It's actually been happening alot in that neighborhood ( Las Canitas ) lately. About a week ago a 16 year old kid was killed when a " moto chorro " ran over him while he was crossing Luis Maria Campos. They were speeding away from a robbery that they had just committed and they ran over him pretty violently. It happened early in the morning.

People should carry pepper spray just in case.

AlexfromLA said:
People should carry pepper spray just in case.

And you put the pepper spray in the bag they just stole ?! ;)

I am sorry for citygirl, but relieved you were not harmed because thos bast**ds do this too to 80 old women (and this can have major consequences)

citygirl said:
it is always a great idea to have the strap across your body.

Not always... A friend of mine was dragged 20 mts by a motorbike due to the fact that she had the strap across her body...

you were lucky it was a bike....

Take care and thanks for sharing...

So sorry this happened to you citygirl! Glad they didn't get your purse and you're ok.

Sorry to hear you got robbed Citygirl. Buenos Aires is a big and sometimes unsafe city. This evening my store in Villa Urquiza was robbed at gunpoint. They demanded the money from the cash register as well as some merchandise. The store was full of people and many did not even know it was going on. I acted like nothing happened because I wanted to avoid a possible massacre of people if they started shooting. I am also originally from New York City and I've found the robberies there are usually more violent. These guys just wanted money and to get away fast. Keep safe everyone. I still love Argentina and think this could have happened anywhere especially in a big city.

I agree with city girl, you are a smart cookie. Of course, no matter what you do there is always a risk and there is no fool proof way of protecting yourself but it really helps to use common sense. I used the same technique, purse strapped over me, jacket on top when I went to Retiro this morning to visit immigrations. Fortunately I have a small purse that is virtually concealed under my jacket, which is even better.

I have been here over a year and have yet to have anything happen to me (not that it means something couldn't happen in the future). I am always aware of my surroundings and hold tight to what's important to me. I had a friend who stayed here only three weeks. She was at an out door cafe and hung her purse on the back of her chair. Big mistake. She had her purse stolen, along with her passport, credit cards, camera, and some cash. Not that anyone deserves to be robbed, but it wasn't a very smart move on her part.

The only thing I would add to this is to make sure you never have anymore money on you than you need. I never carry extra cash, credit cards, or my passport unless I need them. It's also a good idea to have a copy of your passport and keep it at home just in case.

Thank goodness you were okay city girl!!

Back