Any Advice For Job Search Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!

loloBK

Registered
Hello! am new to the city, moved here one month ago. I am a Licensed Master in Social Work from NY. (LMSW) Have experience with group and individual therapy of different modalities. I speak conversational Spanish. NOT enough to provide therapy in Spanish but definitely capable for expat English speakers. Anyone out there know of places to get involved in this? Or, to begin with any other English speaking jobs while I'm learning more of the language and culture? Is English teaching the best way to just make some money for now? If so, any of you have any advice? Any job advice would be great. Thanks so much!

Are you resident aka can you legally work in argentina? If not, english teaching is probably the best way to decrease net cash outflow, I'm not sure I'd call it making money.

I hate to say this but at the moment your best choices are going to be teaching english or, like the other people with BA/BS/MA/MS/Phds to work in a call center like I do. As Phillip said, you won't make money, you'll only get poorer less fast.

I am afraid I have to second that as another person with a lot of degrees doing a menial job...in my short experience there are two obstacles:

1. Spanish language: you must have an Advanced level, at least, to even start looking for work and going through interviews.
2. Job applications are inexistent: from what I gather so far, it's all mouth-to-mouth and then you get an email or a phonecall of someone inviting you over for an interview and then you have a job (it's all very....organic!)
3. Bureaucracy: this is particularly true for academics who, in order to teach, they must go through a ridiculous amount of degree re-validating (everything from BA to PhD...believe it or not). Furthermore, in Argentina the health professionals (I'm a psychologist) are required to have a Professional Practice number (called, Matricula) in order to legally practice one's profession. This is obtained by...you got, the revalidation process.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel as you may be able to bypass number 3 by going into the private sector and until you learn better Spanish (for the me the Laboratorio de Idiomas at the UBA works great) you work on your networking. It's all about positive thinking and a gargantuan amount of patience! :)

I may be wrong but this has been my experience so far...

Back