Any Argentinians on this site that relocated to Buenos Aires after living abroad?

porteña

Registered
Hi, I am an Argentinian that has returned to Buenos Aires after 13 years of living in the bay area (California). I wonder if there are other fellow Argentinians on this site that came back to BA and now feel, like me, half-Argentinian/half-other?? I'm thankful for the BAExpats site and for the opportunity of fully functioning among 2+ cultures, mindsets, and languages, but it sometimes feels lonely. If so, I'd like to meet up with to discuss your experiences coming back to the country and settling down here again... I'm 38 and am a college professor/researcher. Gracias! :)

Hola Portena,

Yes, I'm one of those people :) and yes for me it does feel like I have two persons inside sometimes, maybe I'm emotionally an Argie, & maybe intellectually an 'Aussie'.
I returned from living in Australia (Sydney) after being outside for more than 30yrs. My buttons get pushed here, in ways \i could never have predicted. Some days I feel total shame for what I see here & some days I feel some sense of pride in what is here. Very conflicting feelings.

But after living here for over a year now, overall it's been a really positive & character building. Sometimes I wish I could be the president, so many things I would love to change here. I try not to indulge in these feelings.

Anyway, good to know there are others... how about a 12 step support group? Just kidding...I'd love to catch up with others in the same situation.

Saludos,
Regards,
Ricardo.

porteña said:
Hi, I am an Argentinian that has returned to Buenos Aires after 13 years of living in the bay area (California). I wonder if there are other fellow Argentinians on this site that came back to BA and now feel, like me, half-Argentinian/half-other?? I'm thankful for the BAExpats site and for the opportunity of fully functioning among 2+ cultures, mindsets, and languages, but it sometimes feels lonely. If so, I'd like to meet up with to discuss your experiences coming back to the country and settling down here again... I'm 38 and am a college professor/researcher. Gracias! :)

Haha, am a Canadian living in Mendoza, and have lots of Argentine doblé-emigrés friends (mainly from time in US, but some from Canada) who are going thru the same thing, mainly for family reasons. Hang in there, you made the right decision!!!!!!!!!!!!! Touch base with your loving but frustrating family and at the same time with a few dependable gringo friends and you will survive smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

¡Suerte, de tu amigo canadiense en Mendoza!

Hi Ricardo,
I understand what you mean in terms of feeling proud and embarrassed about things around us in Argentina. I go through the same feelings oftentimes. One thing is for sure: I came back here because there's a lot to be done and, I thought, if I want to make a contribution, it is easier here than in the US. It still surprises me how many people don't have a built-in "can-do" attitude (however, some do and are quite resilient), but then again I am comparing them with the workaholics of Silicon Valley, which has some of the top engineers and workers of the world and is also not the typical US work environment...
Are you in Capital?? If other people reply, maybe we can get together over a cup of coffee sometime?... Mendozanow is unfortunately farther away.
Saludos!!

Hola Mendozanow!
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. It's good to know I'm not the only one going through all this!!! Fortunately, my friends from college are still around and are very supportive. Families sometimes don't fully understand that, after living abroad, most people change their perspectives on things, but I guess that's quite normal...
Saludos!!

Hello. I'm also Argentine, and have lived abroad for many years, though I have been back living in Argentina for quite some time now. Please let me know if you organize a get together.

Saludos,

Martin

Me. Lived in Israel for 8 years. Came back. Why? Well, familiy, better jobs, and better women. Really. The possibility of meeting somebody that doesn't care about the model of car you have (or if you have one) is one of the main reasons to come back here. And I know that there are certainly golddiggers in BA, but they seem to walk around certain neighbourhoods (Barrio Norte, Recoleta, Palermo etc etc).

I just came back to Baires after 8 years in Miami, Fl.
I been to San Francisco a couple times, if i go back to the US that will be my city.
I feel porteño 100%, i can't help it:)
But my mind got enriched by the experience in the US.
Your brain changes, your mind becomes broader. It's a fact
I realized in the us you can like the beatles and the rolling stones.
I guess you know what i mean by that.

Salute!:cool:

la gran pregunta q me hago es....

si todos uds. son argentinos, porque en el nombre de zeus hablan en ingles? :confused:

porque en este foro se escribe en ingles, amigo.
De lo contrario muchos expatriados no entenderian nada.

salute!

Back